Wildlife Photography at Leighton Moss

My husband and I are regulars at Leighton Moss. The reserve is, indeed, if not the top favourite, definitely one of our 3 most favourite RSPB reserves. Massive variety of species, lovely walks in the forest, adorable visitor friendly robins (can't not mention them and everybody who's visited will know what I am talking about), fantastic group of staff and volunteers - all very helpful - well, I can't sing the praises of the reserve enough whatever I say. We usually stay around the forest to photograph birds. For wildlife photographers the forest is simply paradise on earth. Yesterday, however, we visited Causeway hide for the first time since it got revamped in the hope of taking some photos of the otters. They did not oblige but there was activity to be observed. A pair of mergansers, a pair of courting grebes, a lovely group of tufted ducks and then all the other usual suspects. Gratefully the male marsh harrier and one of his ladies made some fantastic guest appearances. But here is the catch: much as we enjoyed seeing the birds, their appearance was great for bird watchers but not for wildlife photographers. The reason: distance. What I am about to propose is valid not just for Leighton Moss but for other reserves too. I am posting it here in the hope that it will get considered or escalated to the appropriate people. The hides as they currently stand are mainly designed for bird watchers but not for wildlife photographers. However, with small tweaks both can be accommodated. I am putting below a list of suggested tweaks (dare I hope it could be photographers' Xmas list?): Flat window sills / window openings: this was very much the case in the old hide (Public) but not the new one (Causeway). The window frames are at an angle with the wood frame of the window and as a result photographers can't rest and stabilise heavy lenses there. If that is not possible spaces for tripods very close to windows (i.e. without the elbow resting plank) will be greatly appreciated. Lower level openings: these are essential for eye level photography of the wildlife in the mere. Wildlife photographers don't mind crawling, lying down or getting into any conceivable twist in order to take the most flattering photo of their subject (dig them tunnels and they'll happily crawl in there and patiently wait for ages to get their ideal shot). The window openings as they are designed are perfect for people sitting and enjoying the view but give rather unflattering photography angles of the wildlife below. Hides (or platforms to erect portable photography hides) nearer some of the most 'distant' wildlife or their 'area', even if these have controlled access. I fully appreciate all these proposals have a cost but I am confident that wildlife photographers would not turn their back at the opportunity of getting great quality photos if, for instance, there was a higher membership fee for photographers to offset the cost indicated. Let's not forget that a good photograph is indeed 'worth a thousand words'. What would better advocate the case for wildlife than good quality, impressive photography? In the meantime, enjoy a little glimpse of the harriers I managed to photograph yesterday with a tele lens from Causeway (distance being the issue... ):

My Gallery

"Any glimpse into the life of an animal quickens our own and makes it so much the larger and better in every way." John Muir

• Minsmere's Island Mere hide has an underneath that can be used by photographers to get lower angle shots.  It isn't ideal in that it's not always easy to get to if the water level is high (the access is regularly several inches deep in water) but it at least shows that when new hides are being planned, consideration is being given to photographers.  Mind you, once all the reeds grow up in summer, you can't see a thing from down there :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• You know I am writing down everything you say Joe, thank you so much for the info. Minsmere on my list to visit! As for the water I don't think any photographer would mind, we are all used to waiting and shooting in extreme conditions. That's why I said that most bird watchers would find these conditions at least uncomfortable.

My Gallery

"Any glimpse into the life of an animal quickens our own and makes it so much the larger and better in every way." John Muir

• Actually, if last weekend was anything to go by, you'd be in danger underneath Island Mere from a Bittern attacking your shoelaces....

www.rspb.org.uk/.../136235.aspx

___

• Unknown said:

I think RSPB are charging for the use of certain facilities anyway. For instance we were told that we had to pay to visit the Mull Eagle nest observatory hide. Personally I don't mind, it's all going for a good cause and God knows we've robbed our wildlife from so much habitat, food etc that whatever we give back is a blessing! In any case your point is well taken!

If that's the case it is completely wrong. I paid over £1,300 approx about 4-5 years ago to become a life member of the RSPB and have been an RSPB member since about 1973, as well as giving regular donations and so I don't expect to be charged for these visits,

Regards,

Ian.

• Unknown said:
    If that's the case it is completely wrong

As with many things in life, I think it depends.  To get to Havergate Island reserve you have to go on the RSPB boat, so even as a member there's a charge (RSPB members do get a discount).  That doesn't feel unreasonable to me.  I haven't visited the Mull hide mentioned by Marina, so can't comment specifically on it, but I think I too would be a bit niggled if I walked in the door and saw a charge having got used to my membership giving access everywhere else.  I should be on Mull later this year so I'll have to see what I feel like at the time :-)

Update....  I've just gone looking for info on the Mull hide.  It isn't really a RSPB site as such, it's a partnership with a number of other organisations, so that explains the charge.  Don't feel niggled now :-)

http://www.holidaymull.co.uk/mull/eagle-watch

___

• Yes, I didn't mean 'better' hides for photographers, but hides designed specifically for photography (birders generally prefer a wider view to see every distant corner, so higher elevation, serious togs want the eye-level views and don't really care about the more distant birds). Also the means to book a guaranteed space for a long stretch of time. If a 'normal' hide is busy you need to keep your stay short to give new arrivals a chance to sit and watch (unless you're selfish/oblivious!), but if it's done on bookings that won't be an issue.

• Joe that's brill, well done! I was rolling in laughter. And the photos are fantastic!

My Gallery

• I've read some of the above and have mixed feelings.

If I thought somewhere had a hide that would give really good photos I might, repeat might, make a small payment for it's use.

To me however the real pleasure of wild life photography is having the luck and/or skill to be in  the right place at the right time.

I watch some people with cameras"gallop" from hide to hide. They don't see anything along the way!

I watch the likes of Gordon Buchanan who make use of the natural surroundings to get their photos.

Going back to the subject of paying for hides. If they weren't there you wouldn't use them so if you don't want to pay, don't use them.

Get pleasure from what is available. Make the most of it whether you want to watch wildlife or photograph it or both.

The world ain't ever going to be perfect for everyone! Enjoy it, it's the only one we've got!

• Well, I suppose different people enjoy nature in different ways Alfoz, surely there is nothing wrong with that? Again, there is nothing wrong with asking for things to improve when one feels there is room for improvement.

My Gallery