Numbers of pheasant

Why are there so many pheasants on the path leading to the Lower Hide? It makes me wonder if shooting takes place in the adjoining field.
  • I found a nest this year George, near to were the tower is, I counted 11 eggs and I think they all hatched out these are the ones we are seeing and they have taken over the pathway I think someone needs to look at this problem sooner then later.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• I love seeing all wildlife, so I don`t see pheasants as a problem. Lots of visitors have expressed sheer delight on coming upon these birds on the path mentioned. Please forgive my ignorance, as I am sure there is a good reason why these birds are considered pests.

Kind regards,

Janet.

• Hi George, I also saw dozens of male and female pheasants on my trip to Leighton Moss a couple of months ago, both in the main reserve area but more, as you say, on the path leading to Lower Hide;     as we are close to areas of farmland where I live I often hear the shooting of Game birds so to be honest, I was rather relieved to see a good number of them at Leighton Moss although I appreciate that too many could cause problems, especially to agricultural farms and growers.   We have the occasional ones that come into the garden  which feed on the fallen seeds from the feeders.

here are four cock pheasants that we saw near the Lower Hide area although there were many more in the fields adjoining  ....

and three females were between Lilian's Hide and Tim Jackson & Grisedale Hides

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi all,

Thanks for your comments regarding pheasants. All of the land surrounding Leighton Moss, including the farm adjacent to the path to Lower hide is owned by Leighton Hall estate. The estate operate a pheasant shoot on this land, which is why many pheasants are seen coming onto the reserve in this area. As it is pheasant shooting season, they will have recently been released by the estate, which is why you are noticing more around than at other times of year.

Annabel

• Hi Annabelle,

I noticed some white posts in the field adjoining the reserve near the lower hide, they looked like possible 'gun' positions, surely they don't have the arrogance to shoot so close to a nature reserve do they? 50 yards away?

Regards

George

• Hi George,

The posts are shooting positions. The estate shoot within their legal entitlement to do so which can be close to the reserve border.

Regards,

Annabel

• Hi Annabel,

I don’t mind them on the path going to Lower hide there is a very friendly one that will feed from your hand.
    Its all the ones on the path leading to Tim Jackson & Grisedale Hides a lot of people put seed on the fallen trees for the small birds but the pheasants have got to know this so as soon as you put the seed down the pheasants eat it all before the small birds can like in the second picture Hazel has posted.

This one will feed from your hand :)

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Hi Annabelle,

Are you aware of complaints from visitors about shooting so close? It must terrify some. Surely injured pheasants must land over the fence into the reserve. I can't believe the estate is so thoughtless, it may be legal but certainly isn't moral.

Regards

George

• I don’t mind the noise or seeing an injured pheasant Georgie, I know its not nice to see an injured animal but I used to go out shooting with either a 12 –10 or 9 bore shotgun to shoot anything that moved in my youth sadly I regret it now and I had the best ratter in the district.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• James, shooting anything just for the fun of it, which is what happens here, is sick. There shouldn't be any room for this type of barbaric activity in a modern society. The RSPB should speak out against this, they are after all supposed to protect birds, but they won't because they would have to change their Charter. Maybe it needs a members campaign to get them to do this.