Pfft! Avocets!

This weekend's trip was cunningly entitled "Flight of the Avocet" - just in case all the Avocets de-camped somewhere else and refused to show themselves.  In the end, no-one should have worried as there were plenty of the iconic black and white "Audrey Hepburn" birds showing off, or, like this one, squelching through the muddy foreshore

The Hares were proving a little bit grumpy, doing their best to hide away from us (probably sensing the oncoming grotty weather that's pounding the windows as I type this)

Though they were patient enough to let us get a few pictures

However, it wasn't the Avocets or Hares that were the star of the day, but something else entirely.  It all started with a rather frightening view of something marching towards the hide

Strains of Tommy Steele (Wotta marf wotta marf, wotta Norf & Sarf, Blimey wotta marf he's got!) echoed through the hide (go on, own up, who remembers that?)

It's a Spoonie!  Fantastic - you don't often see them this close up

Distracted by a Redshank for a few moments...

Attention soon returned to the Spoonbill, rootling around in the water in front of the hide

Success!  Hmm, not overly impressive a catch, but a tasty snack nevertheless

It all went to make a particularly memorable day on the Island :-)

• Brilliant photos and post WJ and had to laugh at the Tommy Steele (Hicks) reference - they don't create songs like that anymore   - thank goodness LOL     I was just about out of my pram but remember him well as I was growing up and the Six-Five Special  !

Love the the Spoonbill shots and the gorgeous bright eyed hare and not forgetting the elegant and attractive Avocets.

• Lucky you WJ, our trip today was cancelled on Friday due to weather, great photos as usual and better views of the Spoonbills than we had on the said named trip awhile back to Havergate. I just love the peace of the island and the trip down the river is fascinating. `must get over to the Ness sometime.

• Tony T said:

Lucky you WJ, our trip today was cancelled on Friday due to weather, great photos as usual and better views of the Spoonbills than we had on the said named trip awhile back to Havergate. I just love the peace of the island and the trip down the river is fascinating. `must get over to the Ness sometime.

Bad luck Tony, it's always a shame if a trip has to be cancelled, but, quite apart from the bouncier trip downriver, getting people on and off the boat at the Island's jetty can be difficult in poor conditions.
    Definitely the closest I've had the Spoonbills to the hide, normally they're resting on one of the little islands in the lagoons (unless they hide of course!).  I do agree with you though, it's a really peaceful place and worth the effort to visit
  • Great captures of the Spoonbill and Hares WJ, you wouldn't think a tiny morsel like that would interest that huge beak!!!  

I'm sure I saw Tommy Steel on TV a short time ago, looking just as good as he did way back then,  "why is it men age so well"!!!!!

• gaynorsl said:
    I'm sure I saw Tommy Steel on TV a short time ago, looking just as good as he did way back then,  "why is it men age so well"!!!!!

It's our reward for being well behaved and always doing what our wives tell us :-)

• lol WJ!!!!   Knowing your place in life is always a bonus:-)

• Ha, ha, WJ!  But I heard a rumour it had something to do with hormones!  Just as well, really--if women aged as well as men we would risk the possibility of getting pregnant right up until death.  Not aging well is the price we pay for not having to put up with that!