My first good look at Havergate Island

Good afternoon, all - I just wanted to say I've spent a lovely hour this afternoon on a boat trip around Havergate Island - what a total wild, birdy paradise!  Saw a selection of gulls, kestrel, oystercatchers and a rather large bird that may or may not have been an marsh harrier.  Must go back there again with a bigger lens!

• No pics, Clare? Do you mind if I oblige with some of mine from 2012? Never went on the boat in March last year, but took these pics of the shoreline. This was at 5pm near sunset. It such a beautiful place, so relaxing, great to hear you enjoyed it.

• Clare, so glad you made most of this warmer sunny day, your whole family have had a great day, even if not all together, sure the conversation will be interesting this evening. :-)

• Beautiful, Mulberry - loved your herring gull in flight, they're so graceful to watch.  Orford is such a must see place - it's like Felixstowe Ferry, a real step back in time.

• Hi Clare,

glad to read, that you liked our beloved island too. It is highly likely that your rather large bird was a marsh harrier. We see them regularly on Havergate Island.

Have you noticed, that we have brand new events for photographers only? Our next 'Photography: Day of Discovery' will happen next Sunday, 28 April, and we still have a few spaces left! More on: www.rspb.org.uk/events/details.aspx?id=tcm:9-340763

If you are not sure what to expect from this event, please read the last two Havergate blog posts on: www.rspb.org.uk/community/placestovisit/havergateisland/default.aspx

I hope that will convince you to visit the island itself.

I am looking forward to meeting you on one of our events,

Monika

Events Officer

South Suffolk Coast Reserves

• Hi Monika

I can't see how to get to the island on the site - sorry if I have missed it. When is the best time to see the hares and can you stay on the island?

• Hi Harelady,

Thanks for your interest in Havergate and our '27 little stars'.

We run regular monthly trips to Havergate Island on every first Saturday and have some special events throughout the year too. All our trips and events are listed under "What's on?" on www.rspb.org.uk/havergateisland or you can find them here too: www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/h/havergate/events.aspx

Regarding our hares: You can see them all year round, often very close up and they look especially smart in spring with their new fur.

If you want to stay on the island, there are two possibilities:

- You could be very quick and grab yourself one of the last places on our late June events, the 'Art & Photography: Days of Discovery' or the 'Wildlife & Photography: Days of Discovery', which will run over two days and we will stay overnight on the island;

or:

- You could apply to become a residential volunteer for one week in 2014. That placement includes working and living on the island and is something for the more hardy ones, as we can offer a very basic accomodation only, and no power, television or shower for that one week.

If you want to know more about the events or the volunteering, don't hesitate to drop me an email on monika.koch@rspb.org.uk for more infos.

Monika, Events Officer

South Suffolk Coast Reserves