Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Reed Beds

Has anyone here installed one? 

I would quite like to have a pond, but I don't really want one in the garden as such. We have a septic tank which soaks away through one of our bits of woodland, then through a field and, eventually, to a burn about 100 yards away. There's a very boggy  (and slightly smelly) bit where the soakaway crosses the floor of the wood. 

I have been wondering about putting a reed bed at the top of the soakaway, and encouraging the establishment of a pond below it. So far, it's only wondering. I've no idea if the grey water would be any good for wildlife, although I kind of assume it would, and I've no idea if the reed bed would clean up the run off enough that the pond would be bearable to visit.

When I look at the urban situations some of you are putting ponds in, it makes me feel a bit selfish that I don't have one; and I guess I could just create one in the woodland somewhere, without bothering the soakaway. Any guidance?