Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

My Pond

I built my pond last year at the end of the summer, here's some photos

•      Ultimate success in my eyes, for the first time I have seen 2 red damselflys mating on vegetation next to the pond, I am absolutely chuffed to bits! Build it and they really will come, truly amazing! Not bad pics for a htc camera phone.

• Hi just had a look at your pond photos and it is amazing, hope it is still thriving I realise ths post is last year, so hope everything still going well :)

• Hi, yep the ponds great, its really starting to stock up now. I took my daughter to a local pond and brought some tadpoles back and to our delight we have seen a frog and a toad. I only took about 5 taddies and am pleased that they are still here in adult form. They hang about my bog area where its nice and dark and damp. Only downside this year is the lack of wild flowers I couldn't get them to grow at all but then again the weather up here really has been terrible, no 2 days have been the same, meaning less bees, butterflies and moths. But ending on a better note I saw a bat swooping over the gardens. Thanks for your comment, take care.

• Hi pleased all going well with your pond, weather has been bad in most places we have had so much rain down here in Devon.

Pleased to say I have had quite a lot of tadpoles turn into froglets and hope they will survive the winter I do provide lots of places for them to hide away, I even bought a Frog House from the garden centre, which I will line with moss and lots of leaves in the autumm. But I think they prefer the natural places, and some even hibernate in the pond, so I do not like to completely clean the pond I tend to just part change the water.

I have not seen any toads as yet, but I live in hope!! Wonderful to see bats I have seen a couple the other night over the garden they are amazing, love to see them!!

Bye for now