Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

My Pond

I built my pond last year at the end of the summer, here's some photos

• Hi Wilbur and welcome.

You've been working hard, and with excellent results! I like how you've done the edge of the pond. Are you intending to plant water-lilies and other water plants in it? You'll soon find lots of bugs and beasties making their homes in and around it! Do let us see how it develops as the year progresses.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• Hi, thanks for the comment, I have  a water lily in it although small, frogbit, hornwort, bog bean, water forget me knot, starwort, penny royal mint, marsh marigold, purple loosestrife, water crowfoot, hair grass, flowering rush and in the bog area soft reed, water avens, astible,  cuckoo flower, iris, and meadow sweet. All in their first year so hopefully plenty colour next year and some tadpoles!

• Wow, you have been working very hard. I would love a pond, but my dog would never be out of it so it's not an option really. 

Look forward to seeing more pics as it develops

Sarah

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bramble67/

• Hi Wilbur, what a splendid pond, lots of new planting going on as well i see, just think of all that lawn you wont have to mow anymore.

Is that you in the pic..?  Nice Knees.

www.thecynicalgardener.com

Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone.

• Hi Wilbur

What a great pond. That's very impressive. I wish you lots of lovely wild beasties and tadpoles in there. :-)

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• Ha-Ha, yes that is me in the pics, starting to look after my knees now and bought myself a kneeling/seat pad. As for the lawn, I tried cutting it with my new strimmer but it fly's into the pond adding nutrients which are a feast for creating algae so I am now cutting it by hand, takes me about 30 mins and the kneeler has came in handy. On the plus side it isn't as short so it's good for the insects and i'm leaving one area untouched.

• This evening I was clearing some algae and noticed what I thought were diving beetles but they were too fast to catch for a closer look, went for the net and took one swipe at some roots at a basket and scooped out 5 water boatmen! There must be loads of them if I got 5 with one scoop. Also saw a pond snail... can anyone tell me if these are generally beneficial for ponds as I've read they can grow rather large. Oh almost forgot I counted about 30 or 40 small and medium sized water skaters... it's all happening now!

• Snails are great for your pond. It is amazing how fast wildlife finds a new pond. You wait and see what arrives next spring, you could get frogs and newts.

One word of warning with your new pond, you might find you loose hours of your life staring into the depths, I know I do.

Build it and they will come.

•  some summer growth...       this isn't from my garden but i think it looks stunning!

• Wow ! How quickly everything has established itself. You must be dead chuffed that it looks so great so quickly. Beautiful looking pond well doen. Love the thistle too, nice close-up shot.

Is that an example of that rarely seen species duckus plasticus in the first shot or are my eyes deceiving me ?!  ;0)