Osprey Poems

There have been various poems posted on the Loch Garten Osprey threads: here is a new one of mine, to celebrate the fledging of the first youngster on  the Loch Garten nest for 2010--

FLYING IN THE WIND

The gentle morning broke as the sun put out its lissom threads of red and bronze upon the nest-

I felt that today, I was to be as one with this wind which has buffeted  me strongly for days now, and bent our frail bodies to its will.

My brothers tried to move their wings against the skies, but failed to shake themselves from their anchor on the twigs crackling hard beneath our new bright talons.

I raised them, my wings, my reason for being, feeling their feathers soft but brave and powerful, and jumped up, and jumped up again...

I lifted, and felt stronger than before, pushed with my newly strengthened legs, and tried again:  the greedy wind grasped me upwards, and I let it take me up, upwards and above - I was flying at last,  flying so that my breath was almost taken from me in the excitement of flight for the very first time.

As I curved around the nest which had been my only home since I began, I felt with myself the oneness of my being alive, of flying at  long last in Nature's true embrace - I was at Home in the world itself, and nothing could take this from me.

• As it now appears that having raised two chicks successfully, EJ, the resident female at Loch Garten, is now migrating once again at the end of a successful 2011 season, I will put here my tribute to her for this year:

A S    Y O U    G O

There'll be a lump in my throat
    As you go.
    I'll be crying a little,
    I know -
    I'll remember the happy times
    With a little wry smile, and I'll remember the sad ones, as you're
    Covering the miles.

Each day you'll go further, and the distance
    Will grow,
    As you travel e're onwards
    You never will know
    How much we shall miss you -
    Longing for your return,
    Or how much good we wish you
    As our sorry hearts burn
    Wanting to know to where'er you have flown:
    Are you with others, or do you dwell alone??

Wherever you are, our hopes go
    With you.
    Our wishes for
    Good Luck
    To see you right through;  until one happy day,
    Cheering, we shall see you again.
    Until then, its nearing -
    That day when we'll breathe easy once more
    To see you returning to our green Scottish shore.

You brought up your brood
    As a good mother should,
    You gave them love, shelter and lots of fine food.
    Although you never once spied a real human face
    Or knew of our watching --
    In our minds you'll always have a very special place.
    You never will know, just how much we all care
    You opened our hearts, and will dwell always there.

(farewell, dear EJ - "will ye no come back again??")