lock-down poetry

Hello, I'm new to this forum. During the lock-down I find myself gazing out of the window a lot more than normal and, well, funny things happen when you have excess time on your hands, and, in my case at least, I start attempting to write poetry (having never been moved to write a poem before!). It helped that there was a lot to look at - 2 sparrowhawks being my favourite sighting over the last few days.

Look at the Spring

Look at the spring, look at the trees
A flurry of pollen, caught in a breeze
A horse chestnut tree explodes into leaf
A promise of summer, no matter how brief

A sparrowhawk circles and swoops for the kill
Magpies scream warnings; the pigeon lies still
The hawk lumbers off with its prey held fast
While calmness returns: the anxiety passed

Look at the spring marching steadily on
Breathe in its wonder; hear its song

• Hello Susan, welcom for up in the very far north of Scotland, in Caithness. For someone who is not a poet or never ventured there before now, you have written a lovely piece. Well done, hope you enjoy here we are a mad at times but friendly bunch of folks. Always someone at hand to answer any questions. Hope you are well and keeping safe, it is such a sad time that we find ourselves living in at the moment.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to Catlady:

Hello, it's nice to be made to feel so welcome in this community. "Mad and friendly" seems like a pretty good combination to me! And throw an interest in birds into the mix and it's starting to sound pretty perfect! Thank you for your prompt and welcoming reply.

Susan
  • You are welcome Susan, look forward to your posts.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Lovely verse Susan, so descriptive as well, and welcome to the community.

While I'm no poet, it is always nice to read what others write, and if it helps to take the sting out of the situation, then all the better.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler