This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Community upgrade is live!

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience over the last week or so while the community has been in lockdown. Good news – the upgrade has now been implemented and you’re free to start commenting and posting across the community again.

With the upgrade I’m sure you’ll notice quickly that there are some minor differences in how you find and create posts, please give it a bit of time to get used to it. To help we’re producing some step by step guides about the most commonly used feature’s on here which will be posted in this thread as well. We're hoping to have these live by the end of the week.

While the community has been thoroughly checked we’re sure that the eagle-eyed amongst you will find some issues so please if you do find any errors drop them in this thread that we’ll be moderating to make sure any issues are picked up on and corrected asap.

We know you’ve been keen to get some new features on the community as part of the upgrade and I have some news on that as well.

• So you should now find that as standard all users have permission to format their posts, something I’m sure you’ll all agree has been sorely missing.
  • We have also figured out a way that you can upload multiple images at once within forum posts and comments. This isn’t a perfect solution and we’ll likely be doing some work to make it much more user friendly for you all in the future, but in the mean time I’ll be posting a how to guide for this within this forum soon.

Thanks again for the enthusiasm and support, we hope you like it.

RSPB Digital Team

• I agree Sheila. ‘In the olden days’ if you wanted to read older posts you just went back a page or two. Now it loads a gazzillion posts which has the effect of chewing up my data allowance  if I’m viewing on my iPhone and not on wiffie. 

• This website is fine if you know what you are looking for and are determined enough to keep trying different routes. But try, for example, typing gardening for wildlife into the search bar - poor Adrian Thomas might just as well save his energy as the results show 0 blogs. Also what do you now mean by 'share'? I used to share interesting blogs on Facebook but 'share' now seems to just mean 'comment'.

• OK, enough is enough.

First, I have no problem with moving forward and accepting justifiable change.

I am pulling my hair out trying to get to the latest posts, preferably without reading/seeing all the original posts before I finally get there.

On the old forum, it was easy to do, and if you wanted to scroll back, again, it was easy to do, so please, can we have that option to go to the latest post, instead of scrolling through thousands, which some threads have, before we get to the latest.

Unless, I'm doing something wrong, in which case, please point me in the right direction.

Page View Complexity!

It seems the forum has become too complex, unless, I'm missing the simple tips and tricks

Formatting:

Should be one click from a menu, preferably at the top of the writing box.

Notifications:

I have none, and yet I should have probably close on 12!

Photo Uploads:

The default is too low a resolution for many photos posted here. It is almost postage stamp size images if you go with the default!

I always reduce my photo size, old habits die hard from the days when time was money before unlimited data plans. However, for most of my photos, the file pixel ratio is plenty adequate, without using too great a file size.

Perhaps either set the default to a reasonable max, and even better, auto default to suit the upload photo ratio. If not, then a quick click to set the photo upload size and ratio.

• Hi Sheila

Regarding the date & time, unfortunately this is not unique to the RSPB forums. The Woodland Trust Loch Arkaig page uses Disqus for chat & it is exactly the same. Disqus is also difficult to navigate.

Ian

• Wow, I've had ONE notification, and guess what, when I clicked on it, I was taken to the very first posting of this thread!

Not very progressive IMO

• Mike,

you must have notifications turned off in settings or something like that. I get 20 - 30 notifications per day and i'm only in 2 groups.

Richard B

• I have no notifications either Mike, but am very busy deleting replies going into my inbox!!!!!!!!!  

Lot to learn

• I am stuck in this thread, this has happened to me before, had to delete tab & open new???

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Mike, when you go into a post click newest, this will put the recent posts at the top.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I've tried that, it only takes me to the newest of the original post, not any of the conversations branching out!

You get to the post I need to read, I need to know which of the threads it branches out on.

However, I've just discovered, if I access the thread via the email link, I don't get to the latest post, but I do get on to the correct branched thread.

Confused?

I am! Confused

But early indications are, it seems to work. Thumbsup