Please do not use the up down arrows - they are not like buttons

I would like people to stop using the voting buttons as they are not really like buttons. All they do is push a particular response to the top of the the thread and are making the threads more difficult to read ( in my opinion) .

Maybe one day we will get the option to like replies like we used to but the voting buttons are not helping matters (in my opinion).

• That is not my experience of using these up/down arrows Bob either on my tablet or laptop, simply act as 'like' or 'dislike' without changing position of post!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• This is what Posts lookalike if the Vote buttons are used - at least on a PC.. So imagine a long Post with lots of comments given an "up" vote. Its the same as the rubbish we had when the first upgrade came in. 

• You will notice now that I voted your comment down and voted Tuwits comment up. There is no way in the world I should be able to affect anything that you " like" and yto be honest I shouldn't be able to affect the way you voted. 

Essentially rubbish Software and hopefully they will redo all the tweaks they did last time and get us back to what we had.

(it's an evil plot to make us think that what we had was wonderful  and had no faults Slight smile )

• it's an evil plot to make us think that what we had was wonderful  and had no faults

The public wants what the public gets.

• I'm with you 100% on not using them. Though I've not observed the sequence changes you mention, I do feel the same as another, and it makes me feel very uncomfortable to use. Not for me, but for others who might put a lot of effort into compiling a good honest reply to get it down voted.

You can unvote by clicking the opposite, so an error vote can be rectified. But I'm still very uncomfortable with it.

I'm still trying to navigate my way through this  jungle, it looks to me like the up/down icons are only for replies while the original post still has the Like icon.

• I've been guilty of this so it's a good job I noticed your post under "Latest posts" on the right.  I haven't noticed posts being moved as a result of using the arrows, but I won't do it any more! 

Until a few years ago the Like button was rarely used by anyone, then suddenly it took off, and it flew until it became a mere acknowledgement button - which, IMHO, would be quite useful, letting a poster know that you'd read their post without having to create a new post to do so, and thus reducing traffic a bit Wink

IMAGICAT

• Hi Scylla, you are quite right the "Like" button is a great asset and allows people to know that their post or. comment has been appreciated without unnecessarily lengthening a post with another comment like - good post, nice comment etc.

Posts don't get moved about , its just that the Vote buttons create those "top replies" which can change as people "Vote" - the Top replies become pretty useless as they are often out of context. The crazy thing about the vote system anyway is that you can actually change someone else's vote if you don't like it :).

What we have now is what we had to deal with 5 years ago.

• Good afternoon all, please be assured that I have taken your feedback regarding the voting/top replies into account and have raised this with the relevant teams. Thank you

• Good afternoon everyone, just to confirm that the change has been made and so the arrows are for likes. Please do let me know if you encounter any issues. Thank you

• sorry. I wasnt sure weather to respond to the other community issue thread  cause Its long enough for the RSPB to read enough as it is. has anyone noticed a pen icon in the corner?