Corvid cull looming

Please see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8286034/Magpies-and-crows-to-be-culled-to-protect-songbirds.html

This is bad on an epic scale.  A hugely undesirable precedent, interfering with natural processes on the basis of bad science (or no science at all), a tiny pressure group apparently driving the agenda, and no apparent action by the authorities to, at least, explain what is actually going on (though the Telegraph might have missed it).

This is indeed a black day for biodiversity.

Every day a little more irate about bird of prey persecution, and I have a cat - Got a problem with that?

• Ian H said:

Interesting blog post from Tony based way down in the south west here that you may wish to have a read of, raises a few interesting points and discusses relationships between predators and prey.

For any of you who have not seen the RSPB research on impacts of predation on wild birds you can find it here.

Thank you Ian, both well worth reading. Now, how can we make it compulsory?

Frank

Scottish landscape and nature photography by Frank Baird - http://www.focushighland.co.uk

• Ian H said:

Interesting blog post from Tony based way down in the south west here that you may wish to have a read of, raises a few interesting points and discusses relationships between predators and prey.

For any of you who have not seen the RSPB research on impacts of predation on wild birds you can find it here.

With the greatest respect Ian all employees will toe official line or else.160 Magpies in one group locally so I have to think if they stay in any similar numbers locally they will have a adverse affect in that locality and anyone thinking differently have not observed the way Magpies work.The differences between them and raptors are several that for me meanthat raptors cause very few problems.

• Oh for goodness sake, that's awful. How often do the various research results have to prove that cats are a far greater problem to song birds and small mammals? I love cats, don't get me wrong mog lovers amongst us, but there is no doubt at all that their predatory natures see off more songbirds than any other single factor. If crows, magpies etc. are culled we'll see far more rotting corpses littering our roads.

• "How often do the various research results have to prove that cats are a far greater problem to song birds and small mammals?"

There is no doubt whatsoever that cats kill many birds. ( also bats/rats/rabbits etc. ) However, I have not seen any research paper that was able to state that cats kill more or less than corvids.  I would be interested in the references.

• davidbinos said:

"How often do the various research results have to prove that cats are a far greater problem to song birds and small mammals?"

There is no doubt whatsoever that cats kill many birds. ( also bats/rats/rabbits etc. ) However, I have not seen any research paper that was able to state that cats kill more or less than corvids.  I would be interested in the references.

Cats cannot be a problem their owners pay lots of subs to RSPB.

• "Cats cannot be a problem their owners pay lots of subs to RSPB."

:)

And a lot of sweet old lady cat owners whose cats are "saints at the fireside & devils out of doors " would vote with their purses if there were calls to cull cats. Apart from membership dues I imagine it  would seriously impact on the bequest / legacy revenue.

• davidbinos said:
    And a lot of sweet old lady cat owners whose cats are "saints at the fireside & devils out of doors " would vote with their purses if there were calls to cull cats. Apart from membership dues I imagine it  would seriously impact on the bequest / legacy revenue.

I have tried to follow this debate, which is quite difficult for me, not being actively involved in conservation issues. I have read the pros and cons of human interference in regard to whether or not culling predatory species is beneficial to our song bird population. 

After reading what has been written here and in the press my simple view is that indigenous species will survive and prosper if given the appropriate habitats, Farmers are encouraged to provide these habitats and many cooperate in providing these. Where I live, the margins around fields has been increased and small plantations of indigenous trees have been introduced.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• No, no cat culling. They're mainly crepuscular hunters, do what the Australians do, have a cat curfew. That'd cut down the killings. Since I moved here 6 months ago next door's cats have killed 4 or 5 birds that I KNOW about but I haven't seen a single bird killed by the rooks or the magpie that visits. Ok they'll have a few chicks in the season, doubtless. I like cats, I always cop a cuddle if I can, but they're killers no doubt about it. Them and pesticides and loss of habitats. So between us and mogs, the corvids are a drop in the ocean. The answer is not killing corvids that's for sure - the moggie question is trickier but a curfew would help.

• I think what I wanted to add to david's post was the "sweet old lady" reference was quite offensive.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• Even in this PC world, I cannot for the life of me see what is offensive in "sweet old lady." 

After all my dear mother is one, and she is also a cat owner and avid garden bird watcher and feeder.