Corvid cull looming

Please see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8286034/Magpies-and-crows-to-be-culled-to-protect-songbirds.html

This is bad on an epic scale.  A hugely undesirable precedent, interfering with natural processes on the basis of bad science (or no science at all), a tiny pressure group apparently driving the agenda, and no apparent action by the authorities to, at least, explain what is actually going on (though the Telegraph might have missed it).

This is indeed a black day for biodiversity.

Every day a little more irate about bird of prey persecution, and I have a cat - Got a problem with that?

• "Research needs to establish the cause of nest failure in the majority of cases before the killing begins."

By research, I take it you do not accept the fact that this proposed study is exactly that . Research to establish the cause of nest failure.

Changes in breeding success and abundance of ground-nesting moorland birds in relation to the experimental deployment of legal predator control

1. Kathy Fletcher1,*,
       2. Nicholas J. Aebischer2,
       3. David Baines1,
       4. Robin Foster1,
       5. Andrew N. Hoodless2

Article first published online: 8 MAR 2010

• I do not accept the fact that establishing the cause of nest failure requires the removal of naturally occurring predators as a starting point. 

It's the "he must be guilty because he's got darting eyes and uses uncouth language" approach to identifying the perp.

Every day a little more irate about bird of prey persecution, and I have a cat - Got a problem with that?

• Dulaich said:

Sorry if this throws a spaniel in the works but, reported in the Scotsman newspaper on the 28th of January, 2011.........

The article is entitled "Feathers fly as conservationists reveal plan to cull birds"

And there's a section which reads.........

"A recent scientific review of the way predatory birds impact on songbirds, commissioned by SongBird Survival from the British Trust for Ornithology largely exonerated crows, magpies and raptors from causing songbird population declines.

"Our own and other reputable scientific research suggests that intensification of farming practices and other land use changes, encouraged by the Common Agricultural Policy, have driven the particular declines of farmland bird species across the UK and more widely in Europe".

Find the full story here...... http://www.scotsman.com/news/Feathers-fly-as-conservationists-.6704658.jp

Perhaps we should be culling the farmers instead!

Frank.

Well you will have to cull all the general public as well because all housing ,buildings roads and dozens of other things are just as bad as farmers which strangely do not get much publicity when several even in Scotland putting small acreages of mixtures just for birds on their farms 

• "I do not accept the fact that establishing the cause of nest failure requires the removal of naturally occurring predators as a starting point. "

This project is to measure the effect of corvid predation on songbirds, through assessing whether removal of corvid predators results in a commensurate improvement in songbird and farmland bird productivity.

• I have signed the petition, which came to me on Facebook via a friend.

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .

• davidbinos said:

Hello Frank. There is no large scale cull as part of this proposed research. As I understand it a small number of sites 3 - 7 in different areas of the country will be used for the study area. There will be comparisons made between two song-bird sites in each location. One left as is as a control, and the other with cage traps. ( No shooting as far as I am aware )

Hardly a large scale culling of corvids.

I'm sorry, I don't care whether the cull is only happening in one backyard in Basingstoke, (sorry Basingstoke!), or over the entire British nation. I am against the cull and I will continue to fight against it to the end.

What happens to the birds who have been trapped in cages and taken away? Do you think they'll be kept in captivity and fed and cared for until they die of natural causes? Or will they be taken to another area and released? That might work. I don't suppose they'd fly back, eh?

I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree as nothing anyone says will sway my opinion on this matter.

@ Sooty, I really don't have anything against farmers, honest! I do have very strong views about the rules that are forced upon them, but that's another story.

Frank.

Scottish landscape and nature photography by Frank Baird - http://www.focushighland.co.uk

• Good afternoon Frank.

I totally respect your views and would not totally disagree with your stance.  :)

In regards,

" I'm sorry, I don't care whether the cull is only happening in one backyard in Basingstoke, (sorry Basingstoke!), or over the entire British nation. I am against the cull and I will continue to fight against it to the end."

Can I ask please, are you  against this particular cull only, or would you be against any culling, even if carried out by the RSPB?

• davidbinos said:

Good afternoon Frank.

I totally respect your views and would not totally disagree with your stance.  :)

In regards,

" I'm sorry, I don't care whether the cull is only happening in one backyard in Basingstoke, (sorry Basingstoke!), or over the entire British nation. I am against the cull and I will continue to fight against it to the end."

Can I ask please, are you  against this particular cull only, or would you be against any culling, even if carried out by the RSPB?

Good afternoon David. I trust you are well.

This particular thread was set up to deal with this particular cull and I'm afraid I would find it quite inappropriate to discuss any other matters, factual or theoretical, under this title.

My views on the matter for which this thread was intended remain unchanged.

All the best from a very cold far north.

Frank

Scottish landscape and nature photography by Frank Baird - http://www.focushighland.co.uk

• Thank you for reply Frank.

Nice, sunny day, but breezy here in Angus.

• Interesting blog post from Tony based way down in the south west here that you may wish to have a read of, raises a few interesting points and discusses relationships between predators and prey.

For any of you who have not seen the RSPB research on impacts of predation on wild birds you can find it here.

Warden Intern at Otmoor.