Corvid cull looming

Please see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8286034/Magpies-and-crows-to-be-culled-to-protect-songbirds.html

This is bad on an epic scale.  A hugely undesirable precedent, interfering with natural processes on the basis of bad science (or no science at all), a tiny pressure group apparently driving the agenda, and no apparent action by the authorities to, at least, explain what is actually going on (though the Telegraph might have missed it).

This is indeed a black day for biodiversity.

Every day a little more irate about bird of prey persecution, and I have a cat - Got a problem with that?

• Very bad news!!

Scottish landscape and nature photography by Frank Baird - http://www.focushighland.co.uk

• Oh so they're back ;-((

Last time about 6 years ago it was raptors that were to blame

Strange that the targets for this group apper to be a copy of the old images we see of the gamekeepers cottage with all the dead BoP and crows on show for his lordship.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=27404

Best regards
    Nigel

| My Images |  Newport Wetlands on Flickr @barman58

• Usual SoS nonsense ... worrying news!

I read their leaflets once ... a not so very hidden agenda!

Ant

"IT IS SAID THAT LIFE FLASHES BEFORE YOUR EYES BEFORE YOU DIE. THAT IS TRUE, IT'S CALLED LIVING."
    Death - Terry Pratchett (The Last Continent).

• This is just appalling. Where will it all end - why not just kill off everything but humans and have done with it? I feel VERY angry.

CJ

• Their old info pints the fingers at mammals .....

Link

and their own website is for sale ....

Link

And another gem, this time the cold does more harm than pesticides.....

Link

It's both what you do and the way that you do it!

You cannot fly like an eagle with the wings of a wren.
    William Henry Hudson (1841 - 1922)

• I was going to post something about this had someone not already done so. It's been covered on the mainstream news websites in the past few days:

The Telegraph

Daily Mail

Sadly I'm seeing far too many comments agreeing with the cull in response to this article, a lot from people who have seen a magpie take one of "their" blackbird chicks and want the lot killed.

Is there anything we or the RSPB can do to prevent this, especially as the proposed cull will take place in May / June when there are young birds still being cared for by their parents, giving the potential for a slow and unpleasant death for those not killed immediately by shotgun.

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

• Plenty of us in the countryside with no connection with other society's regard the fact that corvids have become too plentiful and the old argument of doing nothing and nature takes its course not applicable because everything humans do has affected the populations of different species.Think if people had Magpies taking young birds in their garden they may think differently and the strange thing is that shooting estates claim and I do not know if this correct but suspect it is that their are more songbirds where they control Corvids and personally I see no connection that because I think too many Corvids why should I hate Raptors.A completely different argument.

• Why is it that when a bird is actually sucessful do we suddenly decide it is a pest?

If songbirds suddenly increased would they then be culled I wonder?

Nature will find its own level.If corvids and BOP are doing well at the moment then there must be enough food sources around to sutain them,when there is not thier numbers will decline and others will rise.

We as humans are wiping out fish stocks all over the world,maybe a human cull would save the fish!

Songbirds are nice but they are not the only birds.

By all means give nature a helping hand with suitable habitats and then let nature do the rest,after all Mother Nature has been at it since before humans were around.

It's not always easy to hug a hedgehog.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

• Karen F said:

I was going to post something about this had someone not already done so. It's been covered on the mainstream news websites in the past few days:

The Telegraph

Daily Mail

Sadly I'm seeing far too many comments agreeing with the cull in response to this article, a lot from people who have seen a magpie take one of "their" blackbird chicks and want the lot killed.

Is there anything we or the RSPB can do to prevent this, especially as the proposed cull will take place in May / June when there are young birds still being cared for by their parents, giving the potential for a slow and unpleasant death for those not killed immediately by shotgun.

Unfortunately Maisie, not even the shotgun guarantee's an immediate death......

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/media/p/216030.aspx

Well, there will be no culls, now or in the future, on my land.

Scottish landscape and nature photography by Frank Baird - http://www.focushighland.co.uk

• Dulaich said:
    Well, there will be no culls, now or in the future, on my land.

Hi Dulaich

Good for you. :-)

Maisie, If the RSPB can do anything to stop this cull happening, then I'm confident that they will do it.

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos