Chappers Trip to minsmere: The guided tour

Hi all.

Back again with another tale to tell of our/my experiences as a bird watcher. So if your sitting comfortably, I'll begin......It was a cold and dark morning *coughs and splutters* sorry, forgot myself for a moment then.

But enough of the giggles for the moment. Last week I booked myself up for a guided tour of Minsmere wildlife reserve. Having been there about a week and a half ago, both myself and the wife had really enjoyed it (hence why we are now members with the RSPB and thus why I am now speaking to you all...and thats how the world works children...ok home time....hmmmm. I did it again, didn't I) but i didn't really know what I was looking at nor what we could be missing out on.

So today was the day, I dragged myself out of my bed and stared outside at the rather bleak rain soaked garden. Hmmm and I've got to ride my motorbike in that! Great. But gear on, bag packed and 45 minutes later I was there.

Our guide today was a wonderful man called John Grant, who as we (we, meaning the group of 8 people that braved the blustery conditions) learnt later had a passion for Gulls. I'll come back to that later. John took us around the entire of the Scrape walk and into the east, south and west hides. On top of that he also gave us an informative overview of how Minsmere came about and its all thanks to a concrete block (to find out why, your have to take the tour yourself :D)

In the hides we saw a multitude of different birds. It was here that John's passion for Gulls showed its quaility as he found the mediterranean in a sea of black headed gulls very quickly. From gulls to waders, from ducks to geese and alot of things in the middle. Shame no luck with the bittern, but i'll settle for a Little Egrete which we saw crossing the reserve between the sluice and south hide and the Spoonbill which was over in a marshland next to the main reserve. To name but a few of the other birds I saw were:

Lapwings, Great Crested Grebe, Avocets, Oystercatchers, Pintail, Tufted Duck, Snipe, two pairs of Marsh Harriers, Black-tailed Godwit, Mediterranean Gull, Dunnock and Redshank.

I was there 7 hours today and loved every moment of it. My feet ache, my back ache's and I was actually sad to leave.

I have said it before and i'll say it again, if you have not yet been to Minsmere, why the hell not, if its doable. Seriously DO IT! :D

Here's a few of the photo's I feel are worth showing:

Chaffinch

Oystercatcher

Pintail Drake

[Post Note] I have come to the conclusion that this at present is my most favorite bird. Such a handsome chap.

Snipe

Lapwing

Redshank

Avocet

So there we go, Story over and done with. Thanks for reading and here's to the next adventure.

Regards

Chappers (minus the Wife.)

'Educate' me, on the wonders of nature.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chappers360/

• Hi Chappers

Great story, and I enjoyed reading your report

It shows that it pays to have a guided tour of the area.   I do that with members of my local Bedford group.  Dave, and I have gone for a one to one with one person who has a particular 'speciality' and this person have Dragonflies and Damselflies and we learned a lot from him

Minsmere is an easy car ride for us, and we could do the trip in a day.  Another trip to book in the future...oh yes and we will too. {big smile}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Hi Chappers, it sounds as if you had a jolly good day, despite the weather. Some lovely photos too, you're right, the pintail drake is a very handsome fellow, but I love the oyster-catcher, it's one of my favourite birds anyway and your photo of him/her against the intense green is just wonderful! Many thanks for an amusing account and the lovely pictures.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 01/04/2011 04:10 in reply to Anonymous

Dear Chappers (minus the wife)

Your report has not disappointed. What a fabulous day!!!

I think you got the most out of Minsmere being guided round by an expert.

I would be delighted to meet up with you there in May if you are free (as you suggested in an earlier post I can't find).

I so envy your sighting of a Spoonbill. Never seen one of those!!

Cheers

Pipit xx

• Nicki C said:

Minsmere is an easy car ride for us, and we could do the trip in a day.  Another trip to book in the future...oh yes and we will too. {big smile}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Definately do it. Yeah so what it was a bit windy, The sun did come out and warm us all up about midday, so I can grumble really. The one thing I did forget to mention was the racket the Cetti's Warbler made at us near the eastern hide. That and I now know why a chiffchaff is called a chiffchaff after hearing that one too :D

So much to learn, so much fun learning it.

Regards

Chappers (and the Wife.)

• Rachel K said:
    Some lovely photos too, you're right, the pintail drake is a very handsome fellow, but I love the oyster-catcher, it's one of my favourite birds anyway and your photo of him/her against the intense green is just wonderful!

Thank you for saying so Rach, and yes without doubt he is my fav at the mo. Wish I could have gotten a better photo of him, but that will come in time. As for the Oystercatcher, That one in the picture (and its mate) were hang out on that grassy mound out in the middle of the freshwater marshland. I too like the contrast in colours. Reds, greens blacks and whites. Was pleased with that picture when i looked back on it.

Regards

Chappers (and the Wife.)

• Hi pip, thanks for saying you were'nt disappointed.

The guided tour was really worth it to understand the historical background of the site and its future. And always nice to have someone on hand that can spot out unusual suspects to inexperienced individuals like myself.

As for the spoonbill, it was a far way off, and needed John's telescope to see it properly, I was tempted to macro the camera to John's scope and take a pic, but it moced shortly after he set it up :( oh wait! I forgot too the tawny owl that was being buzzed at by other nesting bird in the small forest approaching the centre on the way back from the hides too. Now THAT was cool!

As for May, excellent. As i work night shifts it would be very helpful for some dates or date you were thinking of going, cos then I can request it all off so I'm organised to be there. the sooner the better though as I get my shift well in advance. Prehaps I can even get the wife to come alone if its poss for her to get it booked off too.

Thanks pip.

Regards

Chappers (and the Wife.)

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 01/04/2011 05:51 in reply to Chappers

Hi Chappers

I would love to do the trip to Minsmere.  We have visited a lot of Reserves so far and have many more to visit yet this year alone - Norfolk is one of our favourite patches too.

The most recent ones are Welney WWT, and Paxton Pits Local Nature Reseve, Bedford over the past 3 weeks or so.  The chiffcaffs are 'chiffchaffing  a lot at the moment LOL.  The Cettis Warber an illusive bird is another loud singer all together

It is great to know someone who wants to take to flight and enjoy the reserves for what they have to offer, and that is a lot at the moment.  It is a good time of year for nesting birds and it is a joy to see the garden birds pair to do what comes naturally..

There is a lot to learn in the birding field, and it a joy to learn the subject anyday.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Unknown said:

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Definately do it. Yeah so what it was a bit windy, The sun did come out and warm us all up about midday, so I can grumble really. The one thing I did forget to mention was the racket the Cetti's Warbler made at us near the eastern hide. That and I now know why a chiffchaff is called a chiffchaff after hearing that one too :D

So much to learn, so much fun learning it.

Regards

Chappers (and the Wife.)

[/quote]

•  

Hi-

one day I may go back to Mins for a day trip- May 10th or so is often a good date- hmm it's a tuesday :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Hi Chappers,

Fabulous report, fabulous photos.

I hope to visit Minsmere late next month......

Cheers, Graham

• Hi Chappers

Great report and great pictures, we have holidayed in Suffolk and Norfolk over the past 4 years and sadly we never got around to visiting Minsmere, we missed out big style it seems, glad you had a great day.

Shane

Regards Shane

My Photos in Flickr.