South Africa Bird Guide

I'm travelling to South Africa in February and staying in Hermanus. I'd be grateful for suggestions about which bird guide to take with me. Will be going on safari, so nothing too bulky would be good. Thanks 

• Sorry no one has answered you, Jeff. I've never been birding in South Africa so I'm not sure I'm going to be much help.

After some internet searches there seem to be a paucity of field guides to South Africa which is a bit surprising given the number of species.

As far as I can ascertain the definitive guide seems to be SASOL Birds of Southern Africa which can be obtained from HERE. It looks to be very comprehensive but possibly more than you need.

When I've been on overseas wildlife trips such as this the tour company usually makes recommendations about relevant books etc. Have they not done so in this case? 

Hopefully, someone who's been to SA can make recommendations.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• hi-

the SASOL is normally rated as the go-to guide- but Newmans is popular too;

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• seymouraves said:
    Newmans is popular too;

It's on clearance HERE at a knockdown price. You can get it with a PVC waterproof cover too.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks both. Really useful advice. Can't resist a bird book and can't resist a bargain, so  gone Newman's PVC!