Birds, butterflies and a bit of culture

We recently came back from spending a couple of weeks in the Peloponnese, lots of hiking, visiting the archaeological sites and a little bit of birding. It was a little early for migrants and there were really very few birds about. I'd put some of this down to hunting, just about everywhere we went there were discarded shotgun shells (including at one "reserve").

My new favourite bird was loudly present at most of the ruins, the Rock Nuthatch. These have a welcome habit of finding the highest point and calling loudly, making them a little hard to miss! So here's some from Mycenae.

This one thinks it's a Meercat!

At the same site a Jay was bullying a Corn Bunting and there was a nice male Black-eared Wheatear.

Buzzards were the commonest birds of prey, being seen pretty much everywhere.

There are times when you're glad you've got a camera in a taverna - some of the local clean-up crew.

We sent a couple of days around the lagoon and pine forest at Kalogria. This was by far and away the best birding spot, Marsh Harriers, Squacco Heron and Black-winged Stilts being the pick of the bunch. Taking a scope would have been handy here, there were plenty of unidentifieds out of range of the bins.

About the only cooperative bird was another Wheatear.

If the birds weren't playing, the insects and reptiles made up for it, especially the Swallowtails.

This tortoise was trying to cross a fairly busy road, so I carried it to the other side...

The hiking was great - although very, very hot. This forced us to live on a diet of cold beer and ice cream - just to lower that all-important core temperature you understand...

Viros Gorge (it's a long way down and then back up again, believe me).

Just to finish - what must be one of the world's most beautiful beaches...