Lake Kerkini, Greece (Final update)

I've finally got round to doing a trip report for my visit to Lake Kerkini in northern Greece. Just to set the scene here is a map of it's location which is about an hour and a half north of Thessaloniki almost up to the Bulgarian border.

Copyright Google maps

The lake is formed by a dam at the lower end which I think was constructed for water supply. At the top (northern end) the lake broadens out and is quite shallow which makes it ideal for water birds as we shall see later. 

Our base for the week was this hotel which is located on the northeast side of the lake. This is not my photo - I forgot to take one. Yes, there was snow on the mountains even in May.

Looks a bit like a Tibetan monastery set against the foothills of the Himalayas but it was definitely Greek and very comfortable. It was family run and mama did all the cooking - very good it was too. We'd had an upgrade from the usual  guest house because our group was too large to be accommodated there.

A couple of views of the lake from my balcony window.

What stuck me initially about the area was the sheer abundance of bird life. Although it's a very fertile area the agriculture is small scale and diverse with many areas of uncultivated land and wild flowers. None of the mono-culture and manicured land which we are accustomed to and consequently wildlife flourishes.

Nightingales seemed to be singing every few hundred metres as were Cetti's Warblers but they were just as hard to see as in the UK. Corn Buntings were equally ubiquitous including one that never seemed to stop calling in the hotel grounds but were more obliging.

Although the lake was the main attraction - more about that later - we explored various habitats around the area so I'll start with a few bits and pieces. 

At a small disused quarry one of our group recognised the song of an Orphean Warbler - a new one for me. It was perched high up so not a good shot.

More at the same place included a (Black-headed) Yellow Wagtail (ssp Feldegg) ......

........ a distant Cirl Bunting feeding on the ground ...

.... and an equally distant Ortolan Bunting.

This site proved to be quite fruitful as on a second visit I managed to get these Red-rumped Swallows coming to collect mud which I've never managed to photograph before.

Who's a pretty boy?

At a reed bed alongside the road a Great Reed Warbler was showing nicely .......

....... and if you've never heard one singing it sounds like a common Reed Warbler with laryngitis and much louder.

A White Stork posing on a dead branch beside the lake. There were plenty around in the villages but this was so nicely posed that it would have been rude not to have snapped him.

A roadside Little Owl. Sorry it was poor shot through glass.

Our local guide was constantly stopping to rescue reptiles from the road. This is a Herman's Tortoise. 

And say hello to what I think he said was a Dice Snake.

And here's one we found in a safer location. Only the body visible on this one unfortunately.

An overflying Black Kite. Rather dull compared with my Red Kites.

I'm going to pause here before I lose the lot and also to give you all a break. More to come in due course.

To be continued >>>>>>>

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:
    Would this be an immature male as it appears to have "accessory genitalia"?

That sounds too technical for me, I had a look in the book & it says that immature males & females are more or less identical.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• So, to continue .........

One of the advantages of having a local guide is that he knows where certain special birds can be found. One such bird was the Rock Nuthatch which was nesting high up in a rock face (appropriately enough) in a village whose name I can't remember. It was hard enough to see let alone photograph but here's a some heavily cropped photos.

By its nest

Having a flutter

and posing

At one of our many coffee stops House Martins were coming down to collect mud in the car park. I was quite pleased to see these as they are scarce around my way.

I haven't mentioned Swallows have I. Of course, there were masses about and this one was supervising us having coffee whilst perched on a lamp..

One day we made a full day's excursion to the Axios Delta which is a National Park. This is an area where a number of rivers drain into the bay close to Thessaloniki. The houses of mussel farmers lined the edge of the bay.

At first there didn't seem to be much about apart from gulls. Then we found this Olivaceous Warbler singing in the scrub. In fact there were quite a few but this was the only one that posed. Just another LBJ but a first for me.

A Hoopoe posed briefly.

A Purple Heron flew by

We were about to give up and move on when this stunning Glossy Ibis flew in and started feeding in a muddy creek seemingly unconcerned by our presence.

We the moved on the Kalachori Wetlands which is close to the urban sprawl of Thessaloniki. When we arrived there were many waders present including Ruff, Avocet, Spotted Redshank, Little Stint, Black-winged Stilt amonst others. Also various gulls, terns and flamingos. The problem was that as soon as we got out of the vehicles the birds moved further away so getting photographs wasn't easy. The site could have done with a few blinds so that birds were not disturbed so much.

Just a few of shots to set the scene.

I got a fly by of a pair of Black-winged Stilts

.....  and a Greater Flamingo

I had complained in an earlier post that I'd not been able to get close to a Squacco Heron. I was surprised to find myself standing next to one sitting in a Tamarisk bush. I managed to get a quick shot before it flew off. I'm not sure who was more surprised me or the bird.

Before we returned  to Lake Kerkini and our hotel. this gorgeous Woodchat Shrike posed for me.

I'm pausing here. To be concluded .........................

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Fabulous update, even for the birds I've seen, I've never taken such amazing shots. The plumage on the Glossy Ibis is gorgeous.

Best wishes

• OK the final chapter if you're still with me.

I haven't mentioned raptors yet. We saw quite a few including a Golden Eagle which was making repeated drops of what appeared to be a tortoise on the rocks presumably trying to break the shell. Too far for any photos. We also saw Short-toed Eagle but perhaps the commonest sighting was Lesser Spotted Eagle and just about within range. A couple of photos but against grey skies

A distant Osprey with fish

We also saw a flock of about 10 Red-footed Falcons hunting probably insects  They were at some distance but I got a couple of shots.

The male with its glossy slate coloured upper wings.

And the lighter coloured female with orangey underparts which came a little closer and showing its red legs.

On our final full day our guide announced that we were going to visit another quarry. It didn't sound too exciting but the Vironia quarry had yielded some good stuff. As we walked down into the disused quarry we first encountered a shepherd and his sheep with his sheepdog and would you believe it, a sheepcat. This little cat was following the flock and seemed good pals with the dog. I could kick myself that I didn't photograph the whole scene,only the cat.

As we descended deep into the quarry the main purpose of our visit was revealed - a nesting colony of Rollers! Of course, our presence disturbed them and they took to the air giving us some great views.

Their call is quite harsh in the same vein as a Jay.

They are even more stunning when perched.

Although I've seen Rollers many times they are often perched on wires and back-lit so you never get to see their gorgeous colours. These are probably the best views I've ever had, certainly as close as this, so you could say I was chuffed.

Later in the day whilst exploring a marshy area we came across this Little Bittern skulking in an irrigation ditch giving some nice close-up views.

Funnily enough on our last visit of the day at Mandraki Harbour not far from the hotel another Little Bittern was showing well although not as close.

One of the birds I was quite keen to see and photograph was the Black-headed Bunting. These are not rare birds but are late to arrive migrants and on previous trips I'd always missed them. They started to arrive on our last day and were hanging about with sparrows in the hotel grounds. On the morning of our departure I had a go at getting photographs. They kept hiding behind bits of vegetation so the photos are not as good as I would have liked Enough to see what colourful little birds they are though.

The Spanish Sparrows that they liked to hang out with were pretty cool too.

Well that concludes my ramblings. For those that stuck with it, thanks for reading.

I think this is one of the best birding trips that I've been on in Europe for the profusion and variety of the wildlife in a relatively compact area. Lake Kerkini deserves to be better known and I suspect it will become more popular. The company that I travelled with do a five day visit in the winter when there is a profusion of wintering water fowl. Who knows, I might be tempted.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• You've certainly whetted my appetite for a birding holiday, well any holiday really! Those bunting at the end are magic, somehow I often like the little birds best, like the little moths! Thankyou for a great holiday report, really interesting, perhaps you could do a brochure for the area.

Best wishes

• Thanks for letting us share your holiday TJ it has been really lovely to read and see your photographs, amazing selection of birds and fabulous shots.   PS  I want some of those Spanish sparrows in our garden.

Lot to learn

• Absolutely fabulous to be able to share your experience TJ & see your wonderful array of images!!Thanks so much for compiling such an interesting & informative report!

Now that I've reached the end of the instalments I shall start from the beginning to re-aquaint myself with what I have only 'skimmed' through ... this is one for my favourites!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• What a fantastic conclusion to this stunning thread!  You have shared some stunning birds with us all......especially the roller and the red footed falcons.  It goes without saying that the osprey is wonderful as well!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I agree with everyone, a fantastic thread Tony. I especially liked the Black-winged Stilts and not forgetting the Sheepcat. :-)

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Thanks for all your kind words. It was nice to share my trip and all the sightings and it's encouraging when you get appreciative feedback.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream