Costa Rica

I went on a fantastic trip to Costa Rica in January, and have just finished editing the photos. 

Here are some of the better ones (I also have a lot which would easily qualify for the "Bad pics of fab wildlife" thread)

• Lovely set of shots, Sue. So nice to see the different types of birds.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Thanks everyone. We spent a couple of days in the Monteverde Cloud Forest, though without seeing a Resplendent Quetzal. One of the party did catch a glimpse of one, while waiting to go on a zipwire.

The next morning, it was pouring when we set out and I didn't take my camera - curses! The sun soon came out and we went somewhere I thought was really special - the Curi-Cancha Reserve. We spent some time watching one of my favourite birds of the whole trip, an Emerald Toucanet, eating berries. 

Pic from the Reserve's Facebook page - where I notice there are Quetzals flaunting themselves on a daily basis.  

• Naughty SC!!  No cam?   But at least you know you saw this lovely bird & just googled Quetzal, what a fabulously brightly coloured sweetie that is!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Some birds seen on the Pacific coast.......

Scarlet Macaw

Crested Caracara

Fiery-billed Aracari (a medium-sized Toucan)

• You are posting some beautiful photos on this thread, Sue!  The latest three are gorgeous - I love macaws, their colours are so magnificently glowing.

I would love to know how the clay coloured thrush came to be the national bird - there must be an interesting story behind the choice.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare

The clay coloured thrush is quite common, but its choice as the national bird baffled our guide too (he was Costa Rican, and very knowledgable).

The macaws suffered a population crash due to people taking chicks for the pet trade, but are doing better due to education and a reintroduction project. We had looked for them unsuccessfully in a national park, but then our bus driver saw a flock as we were driving along the coast road, and found a place to stop.    

• Lovely photos of these exotic birds, Sue. It must have been a wonderful trip. Costa Rica was on my bucket list but I don't think I'll make it now so thanks for sharing your experiences.

I saw the Crested Oropendola when I visited Trinidad a few years ago. It always amazed me how such relatively large birds could build such precarious looking nests and live inside them.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Tony, you have to go! It's a wonderful place, nice people - far too many birds and plenty of other wildlife, great scenery and the odd volcano or two (I have a slight passion for volcanoes). We've been twice, neither time on a birding holiday (hiking and just being tourists) but still managed to see and photograph plenty. The flights are pretty grim, but that applies to most flying these days.  

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• Tony

I second Stuart's recommendation! If this taster has changed your mind at all, you are welcome to PM me with any questions.

Does anyone want to see some mammals and reptiles?

Sue

• Of course Sue :-) Do a search on Costa Rica in the forums and you'll find some more trip reports - I did one or two myself ;-)

"Let loose the Kraken!"