Big Garden Birdwatch results from Germany

Hello dear forumites,

I'm sorry that once again I haven't been around much, but I knew that BGBW was supposed to take place this weekend. Our own Birdwatch in Germany took place on January 10th. As I couldn't take part then, I decided once again to join you all. So I counted today from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM. Temperature was +0,7 °C and not the least bit of sun (how do you call it? Overcast?). Do you like to know what I've seen? So here we go:

House Sparrow:                   5

Blue Tit:                             7

Great Tit:                            7

Green Woodpecker:            1

Great Spotted Woodpecker: 1

Robin:                                 1

Hawfinch:                             2!!! One Male and one Female !!!! The first time in months!!

Starling:                               1 ( seldom to be seen in winter in Germany)

Wood Pigeon:                       4

Greenfinch:                          1

Chaffinch:                             2

Magpie:                               1

Swamp Tit (EDIT: Marsh Tit--thank you, TeeJay):                          1

one unwinged visitor: Red Squirrel: 1

Kind regards and good luck for your own count! Yours, Bente

• A good count, Bente, and probably fairly similar to what most people will see EXCEPT for the HAWFINCH. I'd love to get one of those in my count but absolutely no chance.

Is a Swamp Tit what we would call a Marsh Tit?

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:
    Is a Swamp Tit what we would call a Marsh Tit?

Hello TeeJay,

you are right, of course. I think I ought to be around the forums more. It seems as if I am a bit out of practice in regard of the english names for the birds ;-)

• Hi Bente,  nice to see you get such a fantastic selection during your German bird count, rather a tad envious of the Hawfinches and Green Woodpecker !!    I just continue to dream about seeing those birds  lol    During my count today I got 19 grey squirrels - does that count ?   LOL !!!!

Regards, Hazel 

• A good amount of birds were in your garden Bente, Our starlings decided not to join in typical!! they showed up at 2 pm

Only  the magpie's after the ham and apple pie pastry,(mainly the broken bits) little Dunnocks and the blackbirds showed up.  

J

• Hello everyone,

I'm sorry to reply only now.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the Birdwatch, too. The Hawfich was a very good surprise indeed. I haven't seen one in ages. And seeing a Green Woodpecker is always a pleasure.

Hazy, o my! 19 Cyrils? It must be more and more difficult to have enough pastry left for the birds. I've seen some pics on your thread. It looks pretty crowded with cyrils indeed.

See you again soon, Bente

• Hi Bente,  We have now put most of the bird food including pastry out of reach of the squirrels on free standing feeder posts with baffle domes beneath and have unscrewed a holding ring for a dish which the Cyrils loved jumping on !   so numbers are slowly decreasing from a count two days ago of 20 Cyrils to around 8 today !   I'd much rather see Hawfinches and Green Woodpeckers lol   so keep your lovely reports coming and photos should you get any :)

Regards, Hazel