Wildlife on the Gironde estuary - Our first garden Snipe

As my old thread is still locked up I thought I'd start & new one. New home, new thread, new forum!!

Since moving in we've been really busy but here are a few photos taken along the way, these are a pair of Gland weevils, up to something naughty on the moth trap,

a Shield bug (for Rockwolf, where is she?) ,Pantilus tunicatus,

A flight of storks passing over on migration, someone asked me once, how do you know a bird is on migration "Does it have it's suitcase with it?" & they are quite right, most of the time it's circumstantial evidence,

& a local stork flying around,

meanwhile, whilst insulating the roof space I found this perfectly dried Garden dormouse (male!) which obviously died a horrible death from poisoning,

a Robin on the overhead cable, they don't come too close;

This is it's & our view of the estuary marshes,

A spider visiting the moth trap, Hogna radiata,

A burying beetle, Necrodes littoralis, also around the moth-trap

& a hornet, who wasn't agressive fortunately,

a Migrant Hawker on the marshes,

some Great White Egrets,

Cattle Egrets (probably), sitting on the fence,

& finally another Spider around the moth trap, Xysticus sp,

I'll try & finish this update later. Thanks for looking.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Cyril, Cyril, Cyril (red though) !!LOL

Best wishes

• It is difficult to concentrate today, after seeing the news this a.m. I have found it hard to smile.   We live in a world that is seemingly hostile and this atrocity is yet another to add to the many that are taking place too frequently.  

I'm glad you posted Hazel, looking at the birds and animals who are so innocent certainly helps.

Lot to learn

• I somehow missed your post the other day Hazel, and like the others, I find it hard to understand how anyone can carry out such barbaric acts against innocent people.

Your photos are all lovely, as per usual. I’ve wanted to see a Whinchat for quite a long time now, and am slightly envious of you in this respect. I did see a male Hen Harrier the other week, and whilst certainly not to be sniffed at (I have been lucky enough to see several over the years), I think I would have been possibly more delighted to see a wee Whinchat. Perhaps one day.!!

My bird photos HERE

• Hi all & thanks for all your thoughts for the victimes at Paris. I was so proud tonight to hear the England football fans singing the Marseillaise & still singig it now! It means so much to people over here who have been previewing the match all day.

A great moment.

Best wishes

• Evening Hazel,  it certainly brought a tear to the eye to see such solidarity as all civilised nations share the pain of last Friday;   united we all stand together as one.  I am watching the match now.  

Regards, Hazel 

• It really was a wonderful moment at Wembley, Hazel. It was done very well by the FA and the minutes silence was observed perfectly.

Kind regards

Jenny

• Unknown said:

Evening Hazel,  it certainly brought a tear to the eye to see such solidarity as all civilised nations share the pain of last Friday;   united we all stand together as one.  I am watching the match now.  

We have long time friends in the Picardy region who often visit their capital. It hit home almost as much as if it had been in London.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Wendy S said:
    We have long time friends in the Picardy region who often visit their capital. It hit home almost as much as if it had been in London.

Hi Pete, I think the recent attack on Paris has really made us all very much more aware of how fragile life can be, it is so shocking.

Regards, Hazel 

• We've had a few firecrests & goldcrests coming through on migration & they jig around so much, anyway these are my attempts at a goldcrest in some bushes close to the house, initially in the fig tree,

it then flew off to some scrubby japonicas,

Please sit still so I can focus on you,

& don't dive in the ivy,

OK well come back out, pleaseeeee

Well don't look so miserable about it,

Or turn your back on me,

Yes i'm still here,

& your wing bars are lovely,

& a nice side view too,

& goodbye.

Sorry about the poor pics but they are the best of a bad bunch!!!

Best wishes

• O'h if only I had the chance of seeing one let alone take all all those photos.   Brilliant Hazel, even if it looked a little grumpy at times!   At least you had some sunshine whereas here it is blowing a gale with torrential rain most of the day.

Lot to learn