White Storks in Germany (Main-Kinzig Area) 2014 (Update October 5th 2014)

Hello!

For all of you, who would like to hear some more about the Storks in my home-area, there is something I would like to share. On Saturday there was a large article in the newspaper. It was the usual report about the Storks that have already returned and about the nestingsites in the region.

First of all, for you to take your bearings, I have a rather bad photo of a map. The scale is 1:25.000, and it shows the ca. 10 kilometres between the suburb of the town, where I live, and another town more to the west. I have tried to mark the areas, where the nests are, with colourful post-it-pieces and black crosses on them. The orange one on the right side of the map is right here at my hometown and stands for 4 nests. Three of them I can see from the train on my way to work, and two of them are already occupied. On the left side there are a blue and a green spot. The blue one is a nest on a Church, the green also stands for three nests. And today I have seen, that a couple is trying to make themself at home on a dead tree, where they make an attempt of building a nest without any aid by humans (normally there are posts put up with a platform on top, on that the Storks build their nest). Surprisingly, this dead tree is not more than 30 metres away from the railroad-tracks. The two Storks stood up there and were completely calm and relaxed, as the train passed by.

And now lets start with my report about the newspaper-article:

In the whole area, that is even larger than the part shown on the map, there are now 32 nests. 27 are already occupied by couples, and the other three by single birds. All these storks are experienced birds, that already had chicks in the past. Some of the couples have not returned to their previous nests, but have moved to other nests. That is not definite, as latecomers might still be able to chase them away. The article also says that it is more important to a stork to keep his usual nest than his usual partner. Isn't that interesting? The oldest Stork, that has returned, is a 17-year-old male, who nests in the area, that I have marked with green. He has returned with a young female, and it is supposed that his former partner must have died. The male from a nest more to the east from us, has last year had a deadly accident with a train. This year a new male has come, and replaced him.He has a ring with the number DEW 9 X 956, that means that he is hatched in 2011 at Neuenhaßlau (you can see it right in the middle of the map, it is not far from here). In the article is also something about a "Chaos-Couple". If everything in the article is true, they have kidnapped a chick from another nest last year. And now, they have occupied another nest than last year, but they also defend their old nest. So there are heavy fights to be expected.

The experienced couples are quite relaxed with humans and dogs, but newcomers can easily be disturbed, and might give up their nest and chicks then, so all the people are asked not to approach the nests and not to preoccupie the Storks.

This is all for now. If there is more in the newspaper, or if I can take some pictures, I'll try to post soemthing here.

Kind regards from Germany,

Bente

• Hello Alan,

I've seen you've posted this link on another, special thread. TeeJay thought that this might be an April-joke. Because of this I've googled Thrigby Hall, and on a photo there was something that looked like a stork's nest on a chimney. So it might well be true. At least I hope so.... And thank you very much for this link...

Regards, Bente

• Hi Bente. It must be great to see the birds as you pass by on the train. I agree with everyone that it would nice to see some photos as well.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Hello Bente, I saw the news clip on our local news

J

• Good afternoon!

I have told you I would try to post a few photos of the new "DIY"-Storks-Nest near the railway-tracks. Today I have got some, but they are not very good ones. It is not very easy to get them because the train passes a little too fast for my poor abilities (and everyone, who goes by train regularly will know that the windows are seldom very clean), but at least you can get an impression.

Yesterday, on my way to work, the nest was abandoned.

Today,on my way home, the happy couple was again standing side by side.

I'm really interested to see how the story will go on. I'll keep you informed.

See you soon!

• Hello Alan,

it certainly does! Although the Storks keep coming back here for a few years now, to me they are still very special. So I keep looking out for them. And these two Storks being so near are even more special.

Regards, Bente

• I agree Bente, the photos are great. It will be interesting to see how they get on. Please keep us updated if you can.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Great to see them, Bente. That last photo is excellent especially when you enlarge it. It will be fascinating to see how they fare over the next few weeks.

Bird watching by train - now there's a first.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Your nest looks like it could be ok with a few more branches, it looks very similar to a new nest just built about 1km from us on a damaged tree.

The trees look a similar size. Your nest is certainly out in the open!!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Unknown said:
    I hope that Bente doesn't mind

Hello Bob,

how could I... I love your Stork-nest-pictures. Maybe, if we are lucky, our nests will look like that in many years. It must have been impressive to travel through Alsace and see all those Storks right in the villages and towns. And Hazel's picture, too, is encouraging. But it shows that our young couple still has some work to do. Their nest looks rather small. Although I agree with Hazel:They certainly have a chance. If not this year, hopefully next year. And it has to count that they are the first couple in this area that builds a nest completely without human aid!

Good night!

Bente

• Unknown said:
    And it has to count that they are the first couple in this area that builds a nest completely without human aid!

Do you have a local bird-watching or nature protection group Bente? I think they would love to be told about your new storks nest.Or maybe the newspaper.

One of our "jobs" is to find & map all new storks nests in our area, & as you've seen they are not easy to spot!! Then they do a count at the end of the year of all the nests & all the chicks etc. They are a "emblematic" species in our département.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France