Alaska and Yukon

Hello everyone,

some of you were interested in seing some more of my photos, that were taken during my Holidays in Alaska and Yukon / Canada in June, so here they are. I do not only have wildlife-pictures, but also landscapes. I hope that does not matter too much. Our guide in Denali-Nationalpark told us a trick how to get good looks at wildlife, for example the moose and the bears beside the road: Stay inside your car (also for safety), don't approach the animal. If you go near the animal, it will usually go away, but if you stay where you are, it will act calmly and maybe come very close. And you should switch off all arteficial sounds on your cameras, so the animals don't get used to it or take it as a sign to go away. We had really good encounters with animals by following this rules. I think I will post the photos in at least two batches, the landscapes first, in order to make you more curious  ;) So have fun!

• Hi!Sharing the pictures is my pleasure!  I am glad that you like them. Does anyone of you really like to go to Alaska one day? Then I have another advice (although you probably have thought about that yourselves): Think about the mosquitos! I was lucky that the journey began on June 1st and that spring had been rather cold. You can see on my photos that there was still much snow. So there were not too many mosquitos. It was only during the last 3 or 4 days that they became a nuisance. So don't forget the repellent.

Going to Alaska was a dream of mine since I watched a John-Wayne-Film as a girl, so I appreciated every single moment. And the people in Alaska and Yukon are really very friendly. So I have a little story for you: One morning, before leaving Whitehorse, we made a stop at the Supermarket to buy drinkingwater and chocolate and other things. I still had plenty, so I stayed outside in the sunshine, while the others went shopping. While I sat there quite comfortable on a definition (?) of the parkinglot, a car drove by. Inside were two wild looking men, dressed all in black, with  sunglasses and long beards. I started thinking that I wouldn't like to meet them in the dark, when they slowed down and opened the window. I thought:"Oh my god, what might they want?" But they smiled and said: "That's the best place for waiting, isn't it?"

The whole journey was just great. To everyone, who plans going there, I wish lots of fun and great experiences!

Bente

• Oh WOW Bente!!! They're stunning photos! Love the scenic shots, but the wildlife!! Wow! I'd love to see a wild Moose! The Porcupine is gorgeous too; and then there are the bears, and the whales!! Wow!

Certainly would love to go one day but as you mention above, the biting insects are a deterrent! Particularly as they rather like me...!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• Evening Bente,  I really enjoyed seeing some photos from your Alsaska and Yukon trip,  what stunning scenery and varied wildlife, loved the whales and the porcupine !   thanks so much for sharing these super images, I feel as if I have been on hoiday now LOL    If you have any more to share I would love to see them :)

Regards, Hazel 

• Good Morning! Hazy, if you like, I will have a look if I have some more pictures that are worth posting. Meanwhile: Has anyone of you seen the moose calf, that is hiding in the high grass? I only noticed it after the journey, when I showed the pictures to my parents on the big television screen.

• Oh yes!! I saw the calf. It's gorgeous! Would love to see wild Moose!!

My photos on Flickr

• Hello everyone,

are you interested in some more pictures from Alaska and Yukon? I've found some more that you might like. Although loving birds and wildlife, I am not good at taking pictures of them, so there aren't many. I am better with landscapes. So here again is a bit of both, following in two posts.

• Yes please!!!

My photos on Flickr

•  Nenana River   On the scenic train to Skagway Afternoon walk near Haines Junction Evening walk at Kathleen Lake near Haines Junction On our way to Valdez On the ship to Whittier On the Banks of Westchester Lagoon, Anchorage

•  Grizzly Bears in Denali National Park Cliff Swallows in Dawson City Frog on the afternoon walk near Haines Junction Cliff Swallows at our Motel in Haines Junction On the ship to Whittier. First I thought there was a Cormorant, but it is a Bald Headed Eagle Orcas near Seward Humpback Whle blowing Sea Lions near Seward On Ship Creek Trail in Achorage Greater Scaup on Westchester Lagoon in Anchorage (corrected after hint from TeeJay. Thank you for that!)