A few interesting links via BBC website

Came across this article via BBC website on Jackdaws along with a few other links further down the page which will in turn link to more fascinating articles.      I thought were this was interesting enough to post up here for those who may not have seen them.       

• I think its defiantly very interesting what they found out about Jackdaws like  how they communicate as a flock and things like that 

• It is very interesting and thank Hazel for posting. There is so much more we don't know about nature, but need to.

• Thanks for posting this Hazel now we know what all that racket the Jackdaws make when going to roost all about. I reckon the Starling murmuration work could be a very long study.
  • There are numerous links from each thread and despite RSPB supporting feeding year round we are in danger of losing birds like willow tits, flycatchers with competition for territory and insect foods,  etc..     it gives a different slant on things which we should take into consideration, especially if we are in more rural areas where birds like flycatchers and similar, especially migratory birds are present.    I'm always worried we do more harm than good when we feed birds outside of the coldest months and harshest winters and agree with Rob's previous thoughts on this.     Here's the LINK in case you didn't find it on the bittern thread.      I have always followed rspb guidance but then again,  they sell a lot of bird food so maybe a little biased on feeding regime. !!   As the article says there are benefits and disadvantages to providing food on regular basis and if I still had a garden I would opt more for leaving quarter of the garden to grow wild with added planting of natural foods for both birds and insects.    As for feeders I've always been of the personal opinion that unless you have the time and inclination to clean feeders on a regular basis then you are more likely to cause more harm to birds;   I have known many people that hang a feeder out with only good intentions that they keep topped up and never think to dismantle and clean it at least every two or three weeks.    

• Though we have bird feeders here, I'm very much on the fence as to whether we should or shouldn't. I accept the arguments around making it too easy for birds to feed, with that in mind, we do periodically leave the feeders empty, plus, when on holiday, they don't get topped up.

With the incessant building going on around here, and believe me, I've never seen building of houses accelerating as furiously as it has been in the last couple of years, exceeding what I've seen in 40+ years around here, and many other places will be the same, habitats are being removed and with many urban gardens now becoming sterile places with astroturf (more and more gardens locally here are getting this stuff) and other such products, I see it as giving wildlife a helping hand.

Our son lives on a new build housing estate, with postage stamp gardens, they're not allowed to plant trees or shrubs, because the builders say the foundations are at risk and they will not cover any damage during the guarantee years if they see any in a garden.

His estate is very devoid of birds, there is the very occasional pied wagtail, and that is about it, no blue tits or other common garden birds, not even blackbirds!

Even passing flies, midges etc seem very sparse!

I think he even said the bricks and mortar part of his house insurance says something similar!

Also quite a few gardens where he lives have astroturf.

In my mind, the problem is society, this incessant need to take away what nature needs for our fast expanding population and other modern day needs.

• I could remember the  thread, but not the title to find a link.

Hazel was out of action around that time, having eye surgery, so will have missed it, for I know she would have contributed to it in a very positive way.

• Ok . I thought il send it so she can read it anyway though. i thought It was interesting