Please Help

I think this a warbler,but which one.

Can any body help id this lile beauty.

Taken while visiting a local nature reserve near my home.

"Click Click"

• Hi Linden,

It's hard to say what it is because it is behind so much foilage. If I was taking a guess I would say either a Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler but this is only a guess. Some one with more knowledge than me may tell you differant. Have you by any chance got another photo showing more plumage it may make it easier to identify.

Graham

Be Inspired,

Dream it, Crave it, Work for it, Live it.

• Unknown said:

Hi Linden,

It's hard to say what it is because it is behind so much foilage. If I was taking a guess I would say either a Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler but this is only a guess. Some one with more knowledge than me may tell you differant. Have you by any chance got another photo showing more plumage it may make it easier to identify.

Graham

I agree, I think it is a willow warbler.  Occasionally see one in my garden but not often enough !

Every little helps.

• I too think Willow Warbler.

If you look just below where the two twigs cross, i think you can see the bird's foot. This appears to be brown, which suggests willow warbler (or 'willy wobbler' as some of my friends call them). A chiffchaff would have a black foot.

Reedbed, freshwater scrapes, saltmarsh and wet meadow. Frampton Marsh has it all! Come and pay us a visit soon.

• This really is a tricky one......very similar birds, and this one is half covered by foliage - this website may help you to differentiate the two (or may confuse you more!). Sometimes, identification can only be confirmed if you hear their call - the chiffchaff has a mono-syllabic 'huitt', compared to the bi-syllabic 'hoo-ee' of the willow warbler......good luck!

Help swifts by letting us know what they're up to - fill in the 2010 survey

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 14/08/2009 21:07 in reply to LRB

Hi there

I would say it is a Willow Warbler due to the 'distinctive' eye stripe.

Willow Warber always have a prominant eye stripe over other Warblers.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• As Lee mentions, these two species are easily confused unless seen well. As Chris states, brown legs suggest willow warbler, but bare-parts colour is not a completely reliable identification feature, due to significant individual variation. The bird does also appear to be strongly lemon-washed, also suggesting an autumn juvenile willow warbler, but is that just the effect of the strong light? The eye-stripe (or supercillium) doesn't offer us any clues because of the same problem.

On balance it is probably a willow warbler, but only probably. You would need to note the complete suite of diagnostic features (as explained in the website linked to above) before a successful identification could be made.

Evidence, if ever it were needed, that you can't ID all of the birds all of the time!

All the best,

Darren 

Leave only footprints, kill only time.

• @ Linda ............ ignore it as it's SPAM purely advertising pest control :( its been flagged up.

Regards, Hazel 

• Oh right thanks Hazel! Me flagged it too

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)