Please Help

I think this a warbler,but which one.

Can any body help id this lile beauty.

Taken while visiting a local nature reserve near my home.

• Hi Linden,

It's hard to say what it is because it is behind so much foilage. If I was taking a guess I would say either a Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler but this is only a guess. Some one with more knowledge than me may tell you differant. Have you by any chance got another photo showing more plumage it may make it easier to identify.

Graham

• Unknown said:

Hi Linden,

It's hard to say what it is because it is behind so much foilage. If I was taking a guess I would say either a Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler but this is only a guess. Some one with more knowledge than me may tell you differant. Have you by any chance got another photo showing more plumage it may make it easier to identify.

Graham

I agree, I think it is a willow warbler.  Occasionally see one in my garden but not often enough !

• I too think Willow Warbler.

If you look just below where the two twigs cross, i think you can see the bird's foot. This appears to be brown, which suggests willow warbler (or 'willy wobbler' as some of my friends call them). A chiffchaff would have a black foot.

• This really is a tricky one......very similar birds, and this one is half covered by foliage - this website may help you to differentiate the two (or may confuse you more!). Sometimes, identification can only be confirmed if you hear their call - the chiffchaff has a mono-syllabic 'huitt', compared to the bi-syllabic 'hoo-ee' of the willow warbler......good luck!

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 14/08/2009 21:07 in reply to LRB

Hi there

I would say it is a Willow Warbler due to the 'distinctive' eye stripe.

Willow Warber always have a prominant eye stripe over other Warblers.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• As Lee mentions, these two species are easily confused unless seen well. As Chris states, brown legs suggest willow warbler, but bare-parts colour is not a completely reliable identification feature, due to significant individual variation. The bird does also appear to be strongly lemon-washed, also suggesting an autumn juvenile willow warbler, but is that just the effect of the strong light? The eye-stripe (or supercillium) doesn't offer us any clues because of the same problem.

On balance it is probably a willow warbler, but only probably. You would need to note the complete suite of diagnostic features (as explained in the website linked to above) before a successful identification could be made.

Evidence, if ever it were needed, that you can't ID all of the birds all of the time!

All the best,

Darren 

• @ Linda ............ ignore it as it's SPAM purely advertising pest control :( its been flagged up.
  • Oh right thanks Hazel! Me flagged it too