Which vole ? update with video footage

Came across this cute critter when I was raking up leaves and tidying the far corner stumpery so grabbed a tray of food and the camera  !       I've seen wood mice but I wasn't convinced this was one and wondered i it could be a field or bank vole.    I'm pretty sure it's not a baby rat  ........ hopefully !        Any help gratefully received. 

It's ears looked too small for wood mouse.  

rounded shape like wood mouse ....   perhaps baby wood mouse !

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• Looking at the colour I'm going to say it's a Field Vole, Bank Voles are a richer colour (I think).
    Got any showing the length of the tail Hazel?

My Flickr photos

• Hi Alan, unfortunately I didn't get a clear view of the tail on camera but it looked like a tad more than half the length of a rat tail;  unfortunately this pic doesn't really show it clearly....

Regards, Hazel 

• I think the Field Vole tail is about half the length of the body and Bank two thirds.

My Flickr photos

• Thanks so much Alan, nice to see one of these in the garden but it better watch out for the Tawny Owl at night lol

Regards, Hazel 

• You might be a bit early accepting my ID Hazel knowing my track record lol.

My Flickr photos

• Bank vole imo. Ears look too big for field vole and you're more likely to get bank voles in the garden.
  • Lol Alan, well I think we've narrowed it down to most likely a vole and not a wood mouse as the ears are flatter to the head and smaller generally. Tail was hard to judge, it wasn't short but anything up to half/three quarters length of that of a rat. Thanks again for your help.

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to Alan.:

A bit more info...

Identification

Colouration is perhaps one of the best means of identifying Britain’s voles. Both field and bank voles are indeed small and “brown” though both differ in hue to such an extent to make identification possible. Field Voles as a rule appear much colder. They boast a grey/brown coat as opposed to the warmer, more rustic red/brown of the Bank Vole. The fur of the Field Vole also appears somewhat more unkempt, at times covering the ears and nose though after a good downpour or run in with a cat I am sure a Bank Vole could appear equally as bedraggled. The underparts of both species are both cream/grey and thus can make identification tricky though assuming your vole is not practicing handstands this becomes almost irrelevant. One last note on colouration is that some Field Voles can occasionally appear yellow/brown in colour and at first glance may appear rather similar to their ginger cousin. This can make things difficult but will force you to take heed of a few less conspicuous features that aid in the ID process.

One of the most regularly cited aids when identifying voles is their tail. As its additional name suggests, (Short-Tailed Vole), the Field Vole boasts a relatively short tail. At least in comparison with the Bank Vole. The tail of the former constitutes only 30% of its total body length as opposed to the 50% of the latter. Alongside colouration, tail length is one of the best indicators associated with vole ID though as is so often the case, tails can be obscured relatively easily by vegetation. Should this be the case it then becomes necessary to examine additional features. Among these the head of the vole is relatively useful. I mentioned before that on a typical Field Vole the fur will obscure the ears. This is true, although the ears should still remain visible whereas on your typical Bank Vole the ears remain totally disguised under the ginger/brown coat.

www.totalecology.com/.../

My Flickr photos

• Thanks for the info Alan, very helpful ID tips.

Regards, Hazel 

• I don't agree with the member of staff who wrote that info on the website Alan refers to. E.g. Vole fur colour does vary according to age. Also, the last line about ears being visible has the species the wrong way around. It will be possible to find lots of field vole photos of hidden or partially hidden small ears. I doubt there are many of bank voles with hidden ears.