Which vole ? update with video footage

Came across this cute critter when I was raking up leaves and tidying the far corner stumpery so grabbed a tray of food and the camera  !       I've seen wood mice but I wasn't convinced this was one and wondered i it could be a field or bank vole.    I'm pretty sure it's not a baby rat  ........ hopefully !        Any help gratefully received. 

It's ears looked too small for wood mouse.  

rounded shape like wood mouse ....   perhaps baby wood mouse !

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi Alan, unfortunately I didn't get a clear view of the tail on camera but it looked like a tad more than half the length of a rat tail;  unfortunately this pic doesn't really show it clearly....

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks so much Alan, nice to see one of these in the garden but it better watch out for the Tawny Owl at night lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Lol Alan, well I think we've narrowed it down to most likely a vole and not a wood mouse as the ears are flatter to the head and smaller generally. Tail was hard to judge, it wasn't short but anything up to half/three quarters length of that of a rat. Thanks again for your help.

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks for the info Alan, very helpful ID tips.

Regards, Hazel 

• I'm going with Bank Vole.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Thanks for all the input Alan, Rob and Jim; I'm guessing we have sort of narrowed it down to a Vole but not which one ! If I get an opportunity to get more photos I'll try get a better indication of the length of tail and colouring of the fur as it was in a mix of sun and shade today. Thanks again all, much appreciated.

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Nige, I'll see if it is around tomorrow .........although I hear the Owl hooting and the foxes are due anytime to collect their chicken scraps so it better keep it's head down LOL

Regards, Hazel 

• The little vole was there again today so I decided to try take a few video clips of it as it was hard to get clear photos with it being so speedy !    I haven't edited the video apart from adding music to cover up the auto focus whirring sound;    hopefully this will give a little more detail of the tail and colouring.       Tail was a bit longer than I originally thought so are we back to Bank Vole ?   will leave it for you to decide !          It was hard to keep this cute critter in focus as it was ultra fast as you will see   lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Super cute but he sure is fast. This is where you need a SloMo function on your camera. I don't know my voles so I'll let others decide.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks Tony and Rob, seems my wildlife stumpery in the far corner worked well as it was intended as a home for such creatures (preferably not brown rats though ! ) and a good place for hoggies if they found our garden and also bugs and beetles as I've left quite a bit of leaf litter and used the old oak trunk off-cuts and branches. As they say, build it and they will come lol Never thought I would see a vole so this was a lovely surprise visitor. I will try put some nuts and fruit out for it but with bird nesting season almost upon us the whole nuts will now be replaced with kibbled ones !     It seems to like berry suet pellets too.
    @ Tony, yes, a slow-mo function on DSLR would work well but guess I could have slowed it down in post editing. I keep thinking of getting a Go-Pro but have so many gadgets already have put in on hold for a while !

btw...... Hope you've all remembered to make your pancakes tonight !!

Regards, Hazel