Pole mounted *small bird( nesting box.

Hi. 

Can anyone recommend a pole mounted nesting box? The way the house is situated here means it is not feasible to put attach a none mounted nest box on the house Such as the one I have here www.amazon.co.uk/.../B004OG57VI

The only suitable place is facing West without tree cover or shelter so would probably be too exposed.

Ideally I need one on a pole which I can then place somewhere and be able to face in any suitable direction. Having problems finding anything / during searches I have only found large prey (owls etc) bird nesting boxes with poles attached.

Trying to get one up asap as it is round about nesting season now . . 

• Not on anything immediately available. Even the tree is too close to a fence so ultimately a cat could jump from there to the nesting box.
  • Not on anything immediately available. Even the tree is too close to a fence so ultimately a cat could jump from there to the nesting box.
  • I could put one of the bushes (some kind of evergreen with red berries - probably needs id-ing here) which are actually 2m and 3m tall. Facing away from the sun
  • I could put one of the bushes (some kind of evergreen with red berries - probably needs id-ing here) which are actually 2m and 3m tall. Facing away from the sun
  • Not sure of how to attach to a tree further up from the trunk as obviously the branches "branch out" and at no longer vertical.

On a related note. Are there any nails-screws that are particularly made with trees in mind? I am just wondering about any damage that nailing a nesting box up might cause to the tree.
    All I know is that copper should be avoided (as using some form of copper is supposedly a way of killing off unwanted trees).

Here is the bush btw. Not suitable to put a nesting box in there unless it is secured to something else (hence the pole which would of course have to be secured in the ground).

• No idea what tree is close to the fence. It does not have any leaves on - so exposed. . .
  • Aluminium nails can be obtained for fixing nest boxes to trees. The rationale being that aluminium won't have a big negative effect of a chain saw wielder of the tree is taken down at a later date, whereas a steel nail would/could. Aluminium nails don't kill trees. (Well, larger ones anyway - last used on a ~15 y/o european larch). I still prefer a loop of wire which is regularly re-adjusted (can be combined with an annual removal of old nesting material, which may harbour 'pests'/parasites). Removing a nest bow nailed to a tree is not conducive to the structural integrity of the nest box.

Current science is starting to indicate that the copper nail stories are not based in science. But studies are still ongoing.

The aucuba (the bush) may turn into a nesting site for birds which are not hole nesters (e.g. blackbird, goldfinch). Depends on the branching structure inside the external (evergreen) foliage cover. Pruning/distrubance. From a gardening perspective, thorny shrubs (e.g. pyracantha, berberis) may be more attractive to non-hole nesting birds.

Just my 2uppence worth.
  • "Current science is starting to indicate that the copper nail stories are not based in science. But studies are still ongoing"

This could indicate the lack of videos showing that this method works. I recently looked one up on youtube (I think it is the only one there) and the conclusion of the video is, er . . . well, no spoilers, lol. See for yourself www.youtube.com/watch

I have looked at the advice here on the main website and it says something about attaching boxes to trees using wire. But, er. I cannot really see a viable way of doing that without having to nail something into the tree - which would invalidate the whole point.
    I could hang something from a branch, but then it would blow around in the wind.

• This is the part:

www.rspb.org.uk/.../

"Fixing your nestbox with nails may damage the tree. It is better to attach it either with a nylon bolt or with wire around the trunk or branch. Use a piece of hose or section of car tyre around the wire to prevent damage to the tree. Remember that trees grow in girth as well as height, and check the fixing every two or three years."
  • Though I am wondering what exactly is going to stop the wire just sliding down the tree trunk taking the nesting box with it?