Magpie in the Highlands

Since I moved to the Highlands last year, I have been told that magpies are rare here. I have just seen my first one in the area at the Longman roundabout, south of the Kessock bridge approaching Inverness. Does anyone have population numbers for the highlands? Should I be reporting this sighting?
  • I've never seen a Magpie in the Highlands and have lived up here for 30 odd years. Are you sure it wasn't an Oyster Catcher or pale Hooded Crow both of which I've seen on the Longman.

Kind regards

Jenny

• In reply to nairnred:

Definite magpie. I was waiting at the lights and the bird was on the verge only a few feet away. Having moved from Edinburgh where there are lots of magpies, I am certain about my ID

• In reply to Gerry P:

Hi Gerry I'll have to keep my eyes open on Saturday when I'm around there. I've seen them in East Moray so I suppose it was only a matter of time until they moved west.

Kind regards

Jenny

• In reply to nairnred:

Hello Gerry, I would certainly report it, as it seems a very rare thing for that area, or indeed anywhere near to Inverness!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to Catlady:

Gerry, you might want to check out the BTO breeding distribution map for Magpies

blx1.bto.org/.../StoreServlet

Although they are very scarce or even non existent in the western Highlands there does seem to be a cluster around the Moray Firth area.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi

i saw a magpie today near Culloden and having come from Glasgow I know a magpie....I was surprised to see it...saw one in Findhorn last year...they are making their way up

• In reply to SGalleitch:

There have been sightings of Magpies up here in Caithness, although I have not seen any myself, that is 120 miles north of Inverness!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.