Robins nest in out-building, some queries

I have an old out-building that’s used to store all kinds of junk, including a pile of badly stacked cardboard boxes. The out-building has an open window. The other day I was clearing out some of the boxes and on moving one found a bird’s nest partly secreted on top of another box (which itself is on top of another box and various junk). The nest had in it one small brown egg, maybe half an inch wide and a little longer. I assumed it had been abandoned but just in case I shored up the boxes around the one that the nest is on to prevent any slippage. I didn’t put the original box back on top of the nest in case I crushed it. Checked again today and now there are three eggs, so obviously the nest is in use. My concern is with the boxes and what happens when the young leave the nest – there is wide ‘chicken wire’ (diamond shaped, about 2 inches diagonal) to one side of the nest and the open window is in that direction too (although the wire doesn’t go all the way up to the ceiling, there is a gap of at least a foot at the top of the wire). I’m thinking that if any young fall out of the nest or flutter to the floor then they’ll easily be lost among the assorted junk and the parents won’t be able to get to them. I also can’t imagine that they could easily flutter to the window from where the nest is situated. So, what to do? Leave it as it is and hope for the best? Or move the box and nest to the other side of the chicken wire and hope that the parents don’t abandon it? Thanks
  • just leave everything as it is Paul

the chicks won't get lost as the parents will call them

in fact its a perfect hiding place for them

Ray

a good laugh is better than a tonic

• Thanks for the replies.

As for leaving the door open when the chicks are ready to leave - we have dogs that could cause problems so it's best left shut.

My concern is that if the chicks fall out of the nest then due to the junk and other boxes underneath the box that the nest is sitting on, that the chicks won't be able to get to the parents and vice versa. They could basically be trapped/lost in the 'maze'.

• If they are Robins, the young are flightless for up to 36 hours when they initially fledge. They fledge between 12 and 14 days after hatching. If you can discreetly keep an eye on them, maybe you can make sure they are not lost or trapped once they do leave the nest. The parents will bring them food and hopefully once they can fly then they will be able to 'escape'. Good luck and hope they all fledge successfully. As Ray says, they are nicely hidden and that should be advantageous to them.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Thanks - I'll try and keep an eye on them once they fledge but I don't want to frighten off the adults.

If I find a 'stuck' bird (where it can't move and the parents can't get to it) should I move it somewhere where they can get to it?

Also, how well can they fly after 36 hours? I ask as I have no idea how they are going to get to the open small top window that the parents will be using.

• Robins have a habit of nesting in what would appear to be the most awkward locations, but they seem to get out well enough. They can fly pretty well once they have started. As far as the stuck bird scenario goes, let's hope it doesn't come to that. If it does happen, then I'm sure forumites will offer the appropriate advice if required. Fingers (and claws) crossed that they won't require any assistance.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)