Robins nest in shed

Hi I'm new to this so not sure if this is where I'm meant to post . I have just been in my shed and discovered a nest with six eggs ... I have 2 Robins in my garden amongst other birds and suspect it to be the Robins . Does the fact the eggs are alone mean the nest has been abandoned ? I feel quite upset to think I may have caused this by disturbing them but had no idea there was a nest in there.
  • Hi Fiona, Robins usually only have 5 eggs, but they can lay 6 on occasion. The female remains with the eggs, but can leave them for up to 20 minutes maybe once or twice a day, so you might not have disturbed them. Do the eggs look like those in the photo? These are Robin eggs. The nest should be a hair and moss lined cup shape. Just leave them and maybe the birds will return.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Thankyou ... I saw both Robins at the feeder a short while after and they did head off in the direction of the shed . They are used to us in the Garden and often land quite close and sit watching us on the fence ... 6 eggs were there so the clutch is complete ... Fingers crossed all is still good in the hood ... Will keep you updated ... Thanks for giving me hope :-)

• Yes that's what they looked like and there were  six :-)

• That's great news. Incubating should be about 14 days and then another 13 days before they fledge. The fledglings are flightless for up to 36 hours. Keep digging over the soil and the adults will have plenty of worms to feed to their young.

• Thankyou so much for your warm welcome ... I do intend to stick around  as I love wild life and value your expert opinions :-)

• I have two weeks off work and was intending to do a bit in the garden but as everything I need is in the shed I'm thinking sod it ... Open a bottle of wine and do a bit of digging instead :-) x

• Hi Fiona. You might find the following thread of interest if you like Robins, especially the final video clip. It will give you an insight into what will be taking place in your shed in a few weeks time.

• No I have an awful neighbour on one side maybe I'll sling the empty bottle over the fence whilst reciting that lovely poem ... HIc ! Nothing like an eccentric old biddy :-) x  

• Have just walked passed the shed and saw a Robin  flying around  inside ! I have not gone in to the shed again since I discovered the nest but think my activity outside may have caused this . I'm happy it's in there but again am worried I've disturbed it :-( It's only a small garden so impossible not to really . It didn't come out so I'm hoping it will settle again . Have learn't my lesson and am not going to go any further than my washing line  for a month . Is that long enough ? Am a bit worried that a cat might go in there though as half a panel on the door is missing at the bottom ... Should I block it with something or leave well alone . Think the birds are coming and going through the window which is partly open as the fixing inside has come away ! Yes I need a new shed ! We were planning to replace it this year and move the location ... Don't want to now because of this but not sure how I persuade my husband to keep it in it's current state because of the Robins :-) Haha ... Might have to be a choice between him and the Robins now Haha :-)

• just leave things as they are and carry on as normal

Ray

a good laugh is better than a tonic