Kestrels in the Quarry 2013...

The pair showed up on 13th March & were checking out the nest - here's hoping..............

Have posted all I've taken today, unedited, as I'm so excited!!!  They both flew off & now Mr Kestrel has returned to nest & sitting, waiting like a spider in the middle of a web!  Just going to video him

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Marvellous news - literally just been rescued - pics to follow when I've had a cuppa!!!

Hope it is in time - Baby K was much younger & smaller than expected - fingers crossed - only a mile down the road from me so I can follow up!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Sounds like you did just the right thing for the little prince/princess, looking forward to pics!

• Brilliant Wendy. I hope all continues to go well for him/her. Well done.

• Just looked at this thread - incredible Wendy! Wonderful photos.

• wonderful pics Wendy, and it looks like you have saved one chick, you have been so quick to act so well done and looking forward to the update.

Lot to learn

• Fingers firmly crossed for the little one.  Very worrying.  

Caroline in Jersey

Cin J

• Have had news of Baby K - settled in new box inside large cage & standing upright & fed four times (little & often) on specially donated food, so looks good & more hopeful.  Hoping to see him over the weekend when decisions will have to be taken regarding his onward care so he can be released into the wild.  Hope there is a rehab center near enough for me to visit - but he is safe & that's all that matters!!!

Makes me very sad to think that I may never see my beautiful adult pair again - have been told of adult male found ripped to pieces yesterday on road outside the reserve!  Of course, none were ringed so will probably never know - difficult year for nesting birds!!

Bit of a prob with pics but they are coming!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Have been up since before daybreak (again) & naturally watching for Kestrels but no show & wondering what went wrong!  Then the Airbus A380 took off overhead from Manston & set me thinking if this has interfered with Kestrel food supply &/or hunting techniques as they mostly predate voles over the airport & adjoining fields.  Although the A380 is much quieter than the average cargo planes there is a quite different sound to it & it flies closer to the ground with much more vibrations & air displacement & is taking off & landing several times a day.   It also follows hot on the heels of introduction of KLM regular service (plus the big Air Show last month)- maybe the extra activity is too much & driven them further afield?  Just a few thoughts which may be quite far off the mark - maybe others will know better!!

I will continue to watch & ponder!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi D - what a thought & one that hadn't even crossed my mind - a distinct possibility given the attitude & actions of my neighbours!!  I have live traps but they definitely do poison! 

So here is a last long vid of him looking good but realised in hindsight that he was nowhere near fledging as I hadn't even witnessed any wing stretching/flapping - there usual action is to hang over the edge of the nest sideways & practice a lot without taking off!!

& the pics just before & after....

Waiting for today's bulletin - hope & pray he makes it!!  Will keep you informed & with luck more pics!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Good news - survived overnight & is eating again & looking perky - being fed very 'hands off'' & will get frozen chicks later today!!   Will have to be called Georgeous George/Georgina eh??  Will see him/her over weekend!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr