Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

I was sent this BBC News link today which shows a rare UK sighting of a Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-53383387

• Thats reads like a very typical tory non committal, party line response. Just so typical from a politician who never seem to have their own thoughts and ideas.
  • I'll apologise upfront to the rant to follow, not to the good people here, but those in power.

It's good that a lot of people are making a lot of noise about raptor persecution, and other nature and conservation issues. However, sadly as demonstrated in Esther McVey's reply, there is no intention to change things in any way whatsoever.

I have no faith in the govt, and that is all parties, to show any genuine interest in the countryside, conservation or nature, except, when there's a money making opportunity.

I'll say now, I'm probably more cynical because of what is happening on my doorstep with HS2 and other associated construction, along with the fact that the Crossrail project is way over budget and way behind schedule, and as with all govt projects, the same will happen with HS2.

While I was off work for two years, I was appalled at how the govt handled HS2 committee sessions, and with being at home, I was able to watch the televised sessions, and it was very apparent then, it was all about the money and nothing else.

Many years ago I had contacted my local MP, a labour MP, but he was no better and even less interested, using the job creation theme and encouraging business to the region, which could be used to finance these schemes to save wildlife.

And what has happened, quite the reverse, mass destruction of woodland and open countryside, and the vast majority of it happening during nesting season, which is supposed to be illegal, and yet, no one has been brought to task, except the tree-huggers!

• I had three replies, two from Plaid Cymru which were supportive and this one which I will print below, I could easily .....well better not say.......
    Inbox
    x

Isherwood, Mark (Aelod o’r Senedd | Member of the Senedd) <Mark.Isherwood@senedd.wales>
    Aug 10, 2020, 7:56 PM
    to Mark

Dear Each,

Thank you for contacting me about driven grouse shooting and the illegal killing of hen harriers and other birds of prey.

Welsh Conservatives understand that many people have strongly held views about this subject. We want to see a vibrant, working countryside enhanced by a diverse environment in Wales and, as driven grouse shooting contributes to that goal, I do not support an outright ban on the practice.

However, the only things that I have ever personally shot are clay pigeons and cardboard targets.

Shooting as a whole is worth about £2 billion a year to the economy, much of it in some of our remotest communities, including Wales. It supports more than 70,000 full-time equivalent jobs, 1,520 relating directly to grouse shooting. Grouse shooting is also one of the main land uses in the uplands along with grazing and forestry.

However, it is essential that our wildlife is properly protected, and anyone involved in game management must respect the country’s conservation laws, which are among the toughest in the world.

It is important to recognise that healthy, active peatland provides numerous environmental benefits and ecosystem services including natural cover for grouse. I am pleased that the UK Conservative Government is working with moor owners in England to further improve management practices and peat condition, such as through Blanket Bog Restoration Projects. In Wales, the Welsh Peatland Action Group’s Welsh Peatlands Sustainable Management Scheme is using government funding for similar purposes.

It is also worth noting that all wild birds are protected from illegal killing by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Raptor persecution, including of hen harriers, is a national wildlife crime priority and there are strong penalties in place for offences committed against birds of prey.

As such, my colleague, the Shadow Minister for Climate Change, Energy and Rural Affairs, Janet Finch-Saunders MS, will raise your concerns about enforcement with the Environment Minister at the earliest opportunity.

Yours sincerely

Mark Isherwood MS/AS

Member of the Welsh Parliament/Senedd Cymru for North Wales

Shadow Minister for Local Government, Housing and Communities
  • Our MP is, brace yourselves--Michael Gove. He's never replied and I've written to him at least 3 times in the last year..
  • I received exactly the same pathetic response from my MP, Jeremy Quinn! Very sad to see they are all saying exactly the same and nothing will change.

I did reply pointing to the fact that in my opinion the land would be better used and more profitable and better for the environment following the likes of Knepp here in Sussex. Making money and shooting anything for 'sport' is a poor excuse and a worrying insight into peoples states of mind.
  • Unknown said:
    I received exactly the same pathetic response from my MP, Jeremy Quinn! Very sad to see they are all saying exactly the same and nothing will change.

I think they are all given the same "hymn sheet"  to send out as a general circular response,   I don't think many in government have actually sat down and thought deeply about the impact and consequences that illegal persecution has;    they prefer to keep the wealthy landowners and wild game lobby happy so their coffers keep getting added to.     Whilst there is raptor persecution around and illegal trapping I will keep signing the petitions,  after all, a thorn in the side will remind the powers that be that this issue will not go away lightly whilst birds are continuing to be slaughtered.     

• Thanks Alan, what a good news story that is and good to see it's not all doom and gloom on the raptor front.
  • Thanks for the update Alan, will be interesting to follow it's path southwards and see if it crosses the channel again. Thought they didn't like crossing large expanses of water so will see if it finds its way home again !
  • Yes, that 3 metre wingspan will help her cross it in minutes and I will be pleased if she finds her way back to her birthplace although this youngster won't be breeding for several years from what I read; was interesting to learn a male was still breeding at the ripe old age of 48 !. It's good this breed has been reintroduced and numbers recovering. Makes me wonder whether this visiting vulture will return again next year. As I scan birdguides we seem to be getting more rarities.
  • The lammergeier seems to be in the Leicestershire/Rutland area now so definitely on its way southwards