Studland, Dorset 13/10/2024

Forecast was fabulous (they lied) so I arranged with sister to meet up on a nice bit of beach to give her puppy (now a year old) a bit of a run, the plan being she would then head home with the dog, and I could have a decent go with the new lens

I took 998 doggy pics lol. She decided it was time to go, so we headed back to the cars, and along the boardwalk bridge I think it's an eclipsing Gadwall (Google Lens thinks it's a Shoveler, but the bill doesn't look big enough to me.. Thoughts?)

I put the big lens on, intending to test it out... first up, and not far off 100 yards away, (heavily cropped) Great Crested Grebe

Almost as distant (Herring?) Gull

The Grebe again... I'm still amazed by the detail picked up at such distance, in not-great light

Over flying Pigeon (I was snapping everything to test the lens)

But the lens still picked out closer birds in trees... Robin

One of the few downsides... Wing Clipping lol

Blue Tit

One of a few Little Egrets

Surprise of the day, Redshank flying by squeaking

It came in to land, the opposite side of the cove to me

There was a clatter of Turnstones

A sightseeing helicoptor flew overhead

Meadow Pipits abounded in the waterside scraggy wood

Another Little Egret flew over

A Robin, pretending to be a Dartford Warbler

A bigger surprise.... TWO Redshanks Smiley

Kindly simultaneously showing upper and under-wing patterns

The Turnstones decided to fly 20 feet round the corner!

Another Black Headed Gull cruised by

Lovely Stonechat

More Pipit action... there was a flock of a dozen or so that kept relocating a few yards either side of the track

Again, even at distant the lens/camera showing it can pick the bird from the twigs

Jenny had been being vocal

Make sure you get my best side!

Chiffchaff

Black Headed Gull

Curlew

Chiffchaff

What happens, without twigs, and fairly close I hear you ask...

All I need now as a day with sunshine rather than grey to properly play with the lens!! (That happened yesterday, and I'm about to attack the pictures lol)

Hope you enjoyed, thanks for perusing.

Stay Safe All