Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

I was sent this BBC News link today which shows a rare UK sighting of a Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-53383387

• Unknown said:

@ Mike, I'm not on FB but was able to see the video with info about the Vulture without logging in.     I just clicked the play button.

All I get is the message asking me to confirm who  I am, no play button or anything else....

I think I must have upset them with a rant and telling them what I thought of their request for personal info, which was for Social Security papers, drivers licence and a few more personal things....

• Mike

I am not on FB and this is what I get clicking the link..( Had to do TWO scaps to show you the bottom half of page with arrow to Play )

• Thanks Kate, I was trying to print screen to show Mike and that is exactly what I see without being on FB.

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks so much for the link Alan, Mike and I found it very informative and so interesting and will be making a donation as these birds and others like them are so very important to wildlife conservation. Really hope our UK visitor which has thrilled many birdwatchers survives into long life and if she has to return to her natal habit we wish it a safe journey back and hope in years to come she pairs up and eventually breeds successfully.    Only one thing left Alan and that is you have to find a name for a Sheffield beer   LOL

Regards, Hazel 

• Wow ! what incredible footage of this magnificent bird and so clear, felt like I was there lol Thanks for the link Alan.

Regards, Hazel 

• Wonderful video Alan, thanks. No need to try and reach it with that viewing being so fantastic.

Lot to learn

• I was going to go one day and then had to cancel. I may try again, if we get a forecast without rain in the near future.

Nige   Flickr

• Alan, Thanks for the link. Amazing looking bird.

Nigel, Best of luck--I hope you get to see one (and have some gorgeous photos to show us!)

Kind regards, Ann

• After signing the latest petition regarding raptor persecution I received a letter back from our local MP;    basically nothing has or will change for the time being .............   it's ok saying wildlife is protected under current laws covering these raptors but that doesn't increase the urgency to implement further measures to protect these birds from their illegal persecution.      Talking to landowners does very little in reality and grouse shooting is a very lucrative business which the government clearly doesn't want to stop.      As Wendy says we shall continue to sign petitions and keep raptor persecution in the spotlight as it appears its all we can do by adding continual pressure.      

For what it is worth, here is the letter I received back today, mainly referring to protection of peat bogs which is also vital.    

Good Morning, 

Thank you for contacting me about protection for Hen Harriers. 

All wild birds are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and there are strong penalties in place for offences committed against birds of prey and other wildlife, with most wildlife crimes carrying up to an unlimited fine and/or a six-month custodial sentence. To address concerns about illegal killing of birds of prey, senior Government and enforcement officers have identified raptor persecution as a national wildlife crime priority. The National Wildlife Crime Unit monitors and gathers intelligence on wildlife crime, including raptor persecution, and aids police forces in their investigations when required.  

After speaking to the Minister, it is clear that the Government is very concerned about hen harrier populations, which is why it took the lead on the Hen Harrier Action Plan. This sets out what will be done to increase hen harrier populations in England and includes measures to stop illegal persecution.

My colleagues and I recognise the conservation and economic benefits that shooting sports bring to rural communities. A study in 2010 by the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust showed that predator control resulted in significant increases in the breeding success of ground nesting birds such as curlew, golden plover and lapwing. I believe that individuals should be free to manage wildlife within the law, and that the Government should only intervene when there is good reason to do so.  

Ministers have always been clear of the need to phase out rotational burning of protected blanket bog to conserve these vulnerable habitats. Real progress is being made in promoting sustainable alternatives and I am pleased to hear that legislation is being looked at which could help achieve this. Ministers have also been encouraging landowners to adopt sustainable options and continue to work with them constructively. The England Peat Strategy will be published later this year which will detail further how we can protect, restore, and reduce damage to our peatlands. 

While there are no current plans to carry out a review of the management of grouse moors, I recognise it is vital that wildlife and habitats are respected and protected, and that the law is observed. I am pleased that the Government will continue to work to ensure a sustainable, mutually beneficial relationship between shooting and conservation.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Esther McVey

Esther McVey MP
    Member of Parliament for Tatton

Regards, Hazel 

• LOL Alan !! I refused to vote last time which was a first for me !      We also had George Osborne in the past.

Regards, Hazel