Time to venture out........

So after years of standing watching wildlife come and go in the garden and reading what all you lovely people writeand post about the great outdoors I thought it was about time to get on my boots , grab my camera and binoculars and jump in the car for a new adventure.....3 minute drive up the road to....yes its basically on my doorstep!

Sun was shining, carpark pretty busy but excited to see new things so I will need your help identifying what I saw ....

Looking up at the sky......a flock of???( sorry not  great pics)

plenty buzzards(I think) soaring around in the sunshine

Then hiding in the distance....(my other half said they look like kangeroos!)

Time to search the water......(looks like a fake duck to me )

Goldeneye I think!

Then a wander over to the river to hopefully see a kingfisher as I have never seen one but had no luck. 

Ended up taking lots of pics of this duck but no idea what it is...help please!

Back to dry land and some stunning scenery

Who knew there was life beyond my kitchen window. Can't wait to get back out to discover more of our wonderful world.

• Hey Linda, what a lovely 1st foray out into the big wide world of "outside the garden" lol, certainly some lovely scenery and wildlife you have there :o) I've never seen a goldeneye so am jealous!
  • woohoo I have made someone jealous on my first outing! lol
    I think jealousy got the better of me seeing what you all have seen and done and thats why I took the hop , skip and a jump up the road to Barons Haugh...so I thank you, all of you Wink
  • What a great selection of photos.

The questionable Golden Eye, is a Golden Eye. For me, probably one of the most distinguishing differences between Golden Eye and Tufted, apart from the tuft on the heads of tufted ducks, are the stripes on the wings of Golden Eye's.

Now you've become nicely acquainted with you local reserve, we'll be seeing more photos and reports hopefully.

If you have a look for other reserves nearby, they could be worth a visit, or two, and also National Trust properties, many of which will have a lot of land attached making a home for nature.

Good work and I look forward to the next posting.

• Thanks Mike

As for the Golden Eye I kind of cheated as there was a sign saying look out and see if you can see a Golden Eye so thats the only reason I could name it but what was the chances of me actually seeing one! Never saw it today though when I returned early this morning!

Oh there is so much in my surrounding area just waiting to be explored...and it will be!

Thanks for all the advice ....much appreciatedWink
  • You will find the post on this LINK Linda :) 

• Thanks Jim...already a step ahead of you for once Wink
  • Looks a beautiful reserve area Linda and how convenient for you to visit being on your doorstep; you took some lovely photos; the woodland and water areas will bring a good variety of birds including those you saw. Look forward to seeing more photos text time you visit but thanks for sharing these.
  • Thanks Hazel . It sure is a lovely reserve. Went back up this morning to see what was about . Only had a spare hour but what better way to spend it!
  • A few from yesterday mornings quick visit......

It was freeezing......

The deer watching the sly old fox....needless to say the fox had no luck getting breakfast from what I saw...

Enjoying the sunrise...some much needed heat....

Not too bad for a flying visit I think.

• Another interesting and fruitful visit by the looks of it Linda, the cold mornings make for lovely atmospheric shots.