Beautiful Butterflies 2019

3 days of sunshine & Butterflies galore. Well, not really but we did see 3 Brimstones a Red Admiral & a Peacock. I did get a shot of the Brimstone flying, but I think trying to photograph Butterflies in flight is one of the first signs of madness. Anyway, it's high time I started this thread.

This is the link to last years thread https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196195/beautiful-butterflies-2018/1219455#1219455

• Speckled woods from this weekend, flying together which was interesting to watch.

• Great captures TJ, I too noticed a fair few orange tipped around a few days ago down by the riverside, and today a speckled wood nearly knocked me over!!
  • After finding my last Green Hairstreak I was reading their colonies are very small and localised so I was pleased to find another in a different location today while I was out looking for Cuckoos (heard 1 saw 0).

It was awkward to photograph, not only upside down and relatively dark but also kept moving so I couldn't get it facing me or even parallel to the camera.

Then I remembered the old adage "if at first you don't succeed …. cheat!" I also remembered reading they were chilled out little critters, so if some of you get Robins or Great Tits on your hand, here's my version.

I didn't really believe it would work but it climbed on my finger no problem and sat there quite calmly. Now, I can get it in the right pose, although trying to shoot macro one-handed, while trying to keep the other hand still isn't recommended, the camera did really well to keep it in focus!

This one may not have much of a streak, but it's certainly a furry little beasty

When I'd finished, it calmly climbed off my finger back to where I found it. Just call me the 'Butterfly Whisperer' - I only wish it worked with other species!

• Brilliant Nigel, you must have warm hands!
  • That last photo is fabulous Nigel. Great captures, next time we need to see a bumble bee in same position:-)
  • Hi Hazel

Love your thread.

Here is a Small Copper we saw at Wrabness today. Rather overcast, and not that warm, so we feel lucky to have seen any butterflies..

• Hi Hazel

Love your thread.

Here is a Small Copper we saw at Wrabness today. Rather overcast, and not that warm, so we feel lucky to have seen any butterflies..

• gaynorsl said:
    next time we need to see a bumble bee in same position

That's probably the only way I could get one to pose for me at the moment and I'd much rather a bumble bee than a spider. I'm happy to take photos of spiders but I wouldn't want a big one standing on me!

A nice Small Copper, Karen, I've not seen any yet this year.

• Hi Karen, Good to see your Small Copper & love to have your contributions on here. Our weather is very unsettled too, not much about at the moment.
  • Amazing shots of the Green Hairstreak, Nigel. The head on one is extraordinary.
    Well done, Karen, to get a Small Copper shot. I haven't seen one so far this year.