Beautiful Butterflies 2019

• Lovley photos of the Green Hairstreak Nige, there seem to be more about this year & have seen quite a few. They fool you though because they look Grey when flying!
    Yours look like a Speckled wood & a Brimstone Kate, shame about the dead one but I suppose the spiders have to eat too!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Noisette said...."Yours look like a Speckled wood & a Brimstone Kate, shame about the dead one but I suppose the spiders have to eat too!"

Hi Noisette and Thank you.

Unfortunately as the overhang has a glass roof slanting down, all sorts of flying critters decide that would be a warm comfy place, but the spiders leave their traps as fast as I whoosh them away, sometimes I am able to save them , before they get caught,with a soft long spider brush, and then release them for another day, Doh!!!grandaughter gets so upset when she visits, and always checks the brushes are still on hand, bless

• In reply to Nigel O:

Stunning photos of the Green Hairstreak, Nigel. I'm not sure where to find them round my way.

The sunshine and warmth certainly brought out the butterflies this weekend. I was in Gloucestershire and spent a while chasing around after them.

Orange-tips were out in force, mostly males.

Also the less colourful female

A nice fresh Speckled Wood. First I've seen this year but no doubt many more to follow.

Although I've been seeing Brimstones for a few weeks I've not managed to photograph one thus far. I found one behaving rather oddly. It was flitting through a hedge pausing briefly until I managed to capture one photo. It wasn't until I looked at the photo I realised what she was up to. She was depositing eggs just below emerging leaves on the hedge stems.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Great captures Tony, We've had Orange Tip in the garden again this afternoon and Brimstone but they were constantly on the move. Interesting to see the Brimstone laying eggs, well captured on camera.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Speckled woods from this weekend, flying together which was interesting to watch.

• Great captures TJ, I too noticed a fair few orange tipped around a few days ago down by the riverside, and today a speckled wood nearly knocked me over!!

Lot to learn

• After finding my last Green Hairstreak I was reading their colonies are very small and localised so I was pleased to find another in a different location today while I was out looking for Cuckoos (heard 1 saw 0).

It was awkward to photograph, not only upside down and relatively dark but also kept moving so I couldn't get it facing me or even parallel to the camera.

Then I remembered the old adage "if at first you don't succeed …. cheat!" I also remembered reading they were chilled out little critters, so if some of you get Robins or Great Tits on your hand, here's my version.

I didn't really believe it would work but it climbed on my finger no problem and sat there quite calmly. Now, I can get it in the right pose, although trying to shoot macro one-handed, while trying to keep the other hand still isn't recommended, the camera did really well to keep it in focus!

This one may not have much of a streak, but it's certainly a furry little beasty

When I'd finished, it calmly climbed off my finger back to where I found it. Just call me the 'Butterfly Whisperer' - I only wish it worked with other species!

Nige   Flickr

• Brilliant Nigel, you must have warm hands!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• That last photo is fabulous Nigel. Great captures, next time we need to see a bumble bee in same position:-)

Lot to learn

• Hi Hazel

Love your thread.

Here is a Small Copper we saw at Wrabness today. Rather overcast, and not that warm, so we feel lucky to have seen any butterflies..

Karen B Suffolk