Beautiful Butterflies 2019

• Hi Hazel

Love your thread.

Here is a Small Copper we saw at Wrabness today. Rather overcast, and not that warm, so we feel lucky to have seen any butterflies..

Karen B Suffolk
  • In reply to gaynorsl:

gaynorsl said:
    next time we need to see a bumble bee in same position

That's probably the only way I could get one to pose for me at the moment and I'd much rather a bumble bee than a spider. I'm happy to take photos of spiders but I wouldn't want a big one standing on me!

A nice Small Copper, Karen, I've not seen any yet this year.

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Karen B Suffolk:

Hi Karen, Good to see your Small Copper & love to have your contributions on here. Our weather is very unsettled too, not much about at the moment.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Nigel O:

Amazing shots of the Green Hairstreak, Nigel. The head on one is extraordinary.
    Well done, Karen, to get a Small Copper shot. I haven't seen one so far this year.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks, Tony - my hubby spotted it (we didn't know what it was, except that it looked rather small) and I already had my camera on auto settings, so was lucky as it flew away shortly afterwards. We looked it up when we got home. I'm not very good at butterflies...
    Karen B Suffolk
  • In reply to Noisette:

thanks very much, Hazel... I love sharing my enthusiasm for wildlife on this forum (despite the technical challenges) ;-)
    Karen B Suffolk
  • Female Orange Tip.

I've no idea what type the plant is.

My bird photos HERE

• Not sure on the flower either Paul, but a lovely photo.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Very nice, Paul. The underwing of the female is really nicely marked.

I got my first Holly Blue of the year. I've been seeing them for quite a while but wouldn't settle.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• lovely photo and species Paul and Tony (we had a holly blue in the garden yesterday but it never paused for a photo and disappeared over the garage roof, same with Orange Tip  !  )

I saw plenty of Orange Tip along with Speckled Wood, Small White, Peacock and Comma butterflies today at Leighton Moss as it was a beautiful sunny day which brought out the flutterbys and the dragonflies,    

Couldn't get an OT to settle so had to be content with Small White (I think ! )   male Green-veined White (thanks to Tony)   and a Comma ......

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again"