Mostly Moths 2019

• Quite a few moths since I last posted, but this turned up in the veggie plot a day or so ago. It's a Convolvulus Hawk Moth Pupa. Took some photos & popped it back somewhere it won't be dug up again (Sorry Wendy)

& a few photos from recent traps, a lovely Oak Beauty

a March Moth

a flightless female of the Dotted Border

That's all for now!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• The Oak Beauty lives up to its name.
    Don't tell me the flightless one walked into the trap!! I assumed they would wait wherever they were and not be attracted by lights.

Nige   Flickr

• I think it either parachuted down from the branches above (it was in the woods) or walked from a nearby tree. Perhaps she was enterprising & thought she would have a better chance of attracting a male if she was in the UV light. It's interesting though, that I also get caterpillars attracted by the lights sometimes.

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Hazel C said:

(Sorry Wendy)

Sobs quietly into pillow!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I did think about posting it off to you, but our post is so unreliable. We had 2 Xmas cards in mid January that were posted in early december! Fingers crossed you'll get your own this year.

A few more from the recent traps, a Spring Usher

Shoulder Stripe

Hebrew Character

That'll do, don't want to overload the sytem. I've put these in at 550 width & shrunk the size to around 400kb before hand. They look OK to me.

Best wishes

• Maybe send off to WWB for some larvae/pupae to rear ... reckon it's the only way I'll get to handle the species!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to Noisette:

Hazel C said:
    I've put these in at 550 width & shrunk the size to around 400kb before hand. They look OK to me

They look OK to me too Hazel, and enlarge nicely too.

My Flickr photos

• Maybe like you say Alan, we could come to comprpmise on the photos & have 550 as standard on the page & a max of 1MB.

Best wishes

• In reply to Alan.:

My first incumbent of this year, only 14mm... found on my sleeve after severley pruning Buddleia ... now in pot of leaves on dining table!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi Wendy, What do you think it is? It looks quite familier. I hope you get a result, it's always nice to know for sure.

Best wishes