Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 4 August 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

Do check back to last week's thread for some interesting posts: a post from Annette about a wonderful parade, a post from Lindy about spotting a stunning parrot (!), and discussion of hummingbirds, butterflies, and more. There was a lot of activity.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and enjoys the dog days of summer. 

• LINDY: Just this week, I read an article on the Audubon website that said that dozens of exotic parrot species are now flourishing in the wild across the U.S. -- even in cold and urban climates, such as Chicago and New York City.

Maybe your parrot isn't someone's escaped pet? Maybe the U.K., too, has a spreading population of parrots, due to weather changes, etc.? I don't know, but you might find THIS ARTICLE interesting. Be sure to take a look at that impressive parrot nest at the beginning of the article.

• DIANE: Thank you for starting us off. I've been scanning all evening and now calling it a night. Will catch up with tomorrow.
  • Good Morning. Thank you to Diane for starting us off, and for the interesting link to the parrot article. We have a parakeet population here in the UK now, mostly in London and the south, but they are creeping north! I did see one in the garden about three years ago, but it disappeared.

I heard "our" parrot squawking early this morning so he/she is still here.

Off to prepare for the arrival of our son and Amber this afternoon.
  • Keeping up with my rescue credentials, I just posted a bumble bee the size of a sparrow out of the window!!

• A rescue a day, Lindy. You are certainly doing your bit for conservation.

We have parakeets here in Sussex, and I know they are spreading northwards. We also have an increasing number of red kite, who are spreading southwards. 'Your' parrot seems to have found itself in a place with sufficient food and cover, although not sure how it will cope with heavy rain or cold. Hopefully it will find its way home soon, or possibly be taken up by one of the bird charities who will care for it appropriately.

Dull and overcast down here today, but not cold. What strange weather we are having!

Thought you might be amused by a line in a hymn we sang this morning. The refrain after the first four verses is, 'Lift up your hearts, lift up your voice; rejoice, again I say, rejoice!' But the refrain for the final verse is different - 'We soon shall hear the archangel's voice, the trump of God shall sound, rejoice!' It was not appropriate for me to smile, but I'm afraid I couldn't help myself …
    '
  • Thanks, DIANE, for starting our new week.

LINDY - your rescue credentials are getting famous among the wild creatures - telling each other what a lovely conservatory with a nice lady who helps find the exits! Enjoy your visit from Son and Amber - will he be working at the local office while you and OH keep her amused and spoilt with the large ice creams again?

After 29 degrees yesterday, we have just 25 today. There was heavy rain in the early hours then a few short minor showers, followed by sunshine late morning. Now trying to rain again, but OH is outside with his new toy - we have no hedges but he uses a hedge trimmer to shape the larger shrubs, and intends to try to keep the trees in shape too, instead of paying £££ for tree surgeons.
  • LOL, Pat!! I think there are quite a few Trumps in the bible!

We've heard but not seen the Parrot today, so he must have gone on to pastures new. We sat in the garden discussing it this morning, and came to the same conclusion that it might struggle when the weather gets much colder.  I put out some cut up apples on the bird table, but they've been appropriated by the wasps.....

OG -- Have to reveal that our son has taken voluntary redundancy. After over 20 years with the same company, he was offered a tempting package. He will be having a month off with Amber then looking for another position. No worry as he's in IT and very knowledgeable, so sure to find something.

Just waiting for their arrival so must go.

• PAT - our posts crossed, I wasn't ignoring you! There are a few trumps in our hymnbook, and I always get the giggles.

LINDA - have to assume Parrot has moved on - or hopefully even found his way home. I hope your eldest will enjoy his extended time with Amber through the summer - I am sure he has made a good decision and will soon find a suitable post.

Temp gradually fell all day and ended about 19 degrees at dinnertime - much more comfortable. OH did a few trimming jobs while he had the hedge trimmer out - amazing what you can find to cut in a garden with no hedges.
  • Hi, all. The Audubon Society has published an interesting article about ospreys. As the osprey population grows in the U.S., they are increasingly nesting on utility poles, which is creating a real challenge for utility companies because the birds spark fires and cause power outages. The article talks about the problem and what is being done. Read it, if you want to, HERE.

• Evening all:  My daughter is arriving tomorrow for the week so spent the best part of the day organizing bedding, towels, etc.; then OH and I went off to Costco to get his hearing aid adjusted. The lady there showed us how to download an app onto a smart phone that makes it very easy to change all the settings (more on the app than the devices themselves).  

Diane: Fascinating story about ospreys - and wonderful to read they're making such a comeback.  Thanks for posting the link.

Lindybird:  A good severance package at the right time isn't something to pass up.  I know my niece would definitely consider one if she had the chance, but she's in an administrative/teaching position at a university and it's not going to happen.  IT offers many more opportunities.  

Off to the airport first thing to pick up daughter; take care all.