News from other Nests - 2024

This thread is for Osprey nests that don't warrant a thread of their own, and for other raptor nests of interest, in an effort to keep Osprey threads to a minimum for the sake of other Community members.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Southwest Florida Eagle Cam
Courtesy of ©Dick Pritchett Real Estate
www.dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html
©Southwest Florida Eagle Cam Foundation
www.southwestfloridaeaglecam.com/

Hancock Forum for very close coverage of the nest.

From KORKY's introductory post for the 23-24 SWFL season:

"This is the first season with M15 & new mate F23. F23 was first documented in the area Summer 2023 before officially bonding with M in October 2023.
The original adult bald eagle pair, known as Ozzie and Harriet, had been coming to this nest since 2006. After Ozzie’s passing in the early fall of 2015, Harriet & M15 bonded in late fall of 2015. After eighth seasons as a mated pair, Harriet never returned to the nest in Feb. 2023 and M successfully raised their young E21 & E22 to fledge.'
F23 has just laid her first egg
dickpritchettrealestate.com/.../

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

F23 has 2 eggs and one appears to be about to hatch!... So I'm starting the new thread a couple of days early.  I don't know who is currently incubating.

IMAGICAT

• This doesn't look good to my inexperienced eye - membrane is so thick!

IMAGICAT

• I agree Scylla. Chick may have trouble getting through that
  • Here's a video of that last reveal - see at the end that #2 is pipping too !!!  (EDIT - CORRECTION! - See SANDRA's post below, informing us that the egg with very cracked shell and exposed membrane is actually #2, and #1 is pipping on time.)

(I had to replace this vid cos MovieMaker moved my caption - so caption's been got rid of.)

IMAGICAT

• This is from 07:36 this morning, local time - the chick has pierced the membrane at one point - I think there is still movement in that area in my video above, under cracked shell.  It must be exhausted Hushed

This is the latest reveal but the camperson was caught napping and couldn't focus on the brief exposure - pip #2 is showing too:

CORRECTION - See SANDRA's post below.

IMAGICAT

• A few moments ago - there's slight movement under the shell fragments:

I'm packing up now, SYAL Kissing heart

IMAGICAT

• Hi Scylla and Korky,
    That egg is #2, the shell started to look 'unusual' last night. Egg #1 has a normal pip and is progressing well. Can only hope for the best...

• Sandra P said:
    That egg is #2

Thank you, SANDRA Heart

I have added Hancock Forum's coverage of this nest to the OP - they follow minutely, with expert contributions.  I may let them take over and shall post occasionally, maybe.

Checking it now, there's been no significant change.

IMAGICAT

• Hatch from egg #1 a short time ago (still awaiting confirmation from SWFEC). No movement seen from the chick in egg #2, shown above the little one in the pic - gosh, how very sad...

©SWFEC/Dick Pritchett

EDIT: 

• The plight of the second egg - according to a learnèd source:

©elfruler - recommended to anyone with a particular interest in Bald Eagles.

THE EGG AT THE SOUTHWEST FLORIDA NEST, DECEMBER 2023

On 12/29/23 observers of the Southwest Florida Eagle Cam in Fort Myers noticed a “dimple” or slight indentation on one of the two eggs, a change on the egg’s surface that suggested a hatch may be in progress. It was soon confirmed (by the pattern of stains on the 2 eggs) that this was Egg #2, laid on 11/27/23 at 13:44 (by my observation).  By the evening of 12/29, after about 32 days of incubation, the eggshell had a crack and some splintering along the side. By the next morning, 12/30/23, the shell was splintering on several sides and at the end. The outer shell membrane was visible between the bits of shell. The shell splintering continued throughout the day, and more of the membrane became visible. Observers could see movement by the chick inside the shell.

I (and others) have seen this kind of “messy” hatch (as I call it) on Bald Eagle nest cams several times over the years. The shell membrane is fused to the shell and holds the shell fragments together. It is supple but fairly tough, so it can be difficult to break through. If the shell splinters in several places and the chick has a hard time breaking it apart, the membrane dries out, making it leathery and even tougher to split open. Most of the time the chick manages to wrangle a big enough space to emerge through the shell and membrane. But this kind of hatch is harder and more work than the more normal hatch where the shell breaks apart cleanly. In a few cases I have seen, it has proven too much for the chick, which becomes weaker from the effort and eventually fails to hatch.

But this case at SWFL was unlike the other “messy” hatches I have observed. In a normal hatch, the shell begins to crack open a day or two before the chick fully hatches. A shell breaking at 32 days of incubation, as at SWFL, might produce a hatchling at about 33 or 34 days. The earliest hatch in my records of Bald Eagle nest cams occurred after about 34 ½ days of incubation, and that was a third egg of a 3-egg clutch (third eggs usually hatch more quickly than first or second eggs), so the SWFL hatch would be a record early. (Stats on hatch timings are here.)

This suggested the possibility that the second egg’s shell was cracking prematurely, a suspicion reinforced by other indicators. The shell membrane is crucial to the embryo’s development. It is full of blood capillaries, by which it effects the exchange of oxygen from the outside and carbon dioxide from the inside through microscopic pores in the shell. The membrane also stores metabolic wastes from the embryo and sheds them after the chick has hatched. (See more details on hatching here.) By the end of the day on 12/29 at SWFL, blood appeared on the shell and the membrane, which almost certainly came from the membrane’s capillaries. That raised some significant concerns about the health of the chick inside.

As most observers know, a day or two before the external pip in the shell, a swelling muscle in the chick’s neck contracts and pulls up the chick’s head toward the blunt end of the shell. There, it encounters an air cell, a space between the inner and outer membranes that contains a small amount of oxygen. The chick’s pipping tooth, which had formed along the top of its beak about a third of the way through the incubation period, pierces the inner membrane into the air cell. This is called the “internal pip.” It exposes the chick to air for the first time, which prompts the chick’s lungs and its nine air sacs to finalize their development and begin functioning. Over the next couple of days the lungs develop the ability to inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide, gradually relieving the respiratory function of the outer shell membrane, which begins to shut down.

The blood seen on the shell and membrane on the SWFL egg means that the membrane’s capillaries were still performing the exchange of carbon dioxide and oxygen for the chick, that the internal pip probably had not yet occurred, and that the chick’s own internal respiratory system was not yet functioning. Whatever caused the shell to begin breaking, the damage to the membrane interrupted the transfer of respiratory function to the lungs, and the chick’s system probably began to experience oxygen deprivation and carbon dioxide build-up. This weakened the chick and increasingly rendered it unable to break through the dried-up shell membrane.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Androcat's hatch video:

IMAGICAT

• The fireworks scared off M15 - I didn't see where he went because I'm not doing Cam3 - maybe one of the two YouTubers in the Description panel will have more.

He didn't return till well into the morning!  Breakfast was already on the nest but we couldn't see much on Cam1 and the 360 is too distant:

IIRC this is E23 but don't hesitate to correct.

Packing up now, SYAL !!! xxx

IMAGICAT