Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 4 August 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

Do check back to last week's thread for some interesting posts: a post from Annette about a wonderful parade, a post from Lindy about spotting a stunning parrot (!), and discussion of hummingbirds, butterflies, and more. There was a lot of activity.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and enjoys the dog days of summer. 

• Good Morning. The whirlwind which is Amber arrived safely with her Daddy yesterday. She and Bonnie were ecstatic to see one another. They chased each other around our garden, amid shrieks, and it took a while for everyone to calm down. Then we all settled down to something to eat, and talked until her bedtime, when I read to her from "Noggin the Nog" - I've bought four of the lovely little books.

Thanks to Diane for the osprey link. Annette, have a good time with your daughter.
  • Lost my post. Will try again later.
  • Hi!  More weird weather – rain in night, loads of sunshine and just a couple of short sharp showers today – breezy so more bearable temperature.  J had to visit his nurse this morning – still no diagnosis from the biopsy!  OH gone to Asda this afternoon – I opted to stay at home – a very basic shopping list so he should manage on his own.

DIANE – read with interest the article about Ospreys and utility pole – pleased the utilities are being so helpful when they can.  Thanks for sharing.

ANNETTE – wow another visit from you daughter already?  Hope you have a good time together.  Surprised your OH was having more adjustments to the hearing aids.

LINDA – I am sure Amber had plenty of energy to burn off after the journey – and I don’t suppose Bonnie complained.  Sounds as if you had everybody under control for bedtime!

HEATHER – look forward to your post whenever it succeeds.

OH back from shopping – will now help unpack.

• Well, I will make replies but not this evening!
    It has been one of 'those days'. My nephew in Canada messaged me at 1.30 am (again). I replied and advised him of the current time here. He responded and said ' go back to sleep' and then messaged me again. If I didn't know that he was teetotal I would have had suspicions... I realise that I should have turned the sound off !

The phone here has been so busy. Several nuisance calls, a bit of family drama - Amy on a train from Edinburgh that was so full that she got panicky with claustrophobia,messages and pictures from youngest family who are flying home from Tenerife tonight. And many more calls from family. Power cuts in Elgin and middle daughter was puzzled. The loud thunderclaps might have given a clue:-) Gardener arrived. In between all of that I was attempting to do some loads of washing and drying, do essential household chores and cook and eat some food. But hey ho - I'm lucky. There are so many folk who have nobody in their life.
  • Blissfully peaceful here - so far!

• HEATHER - what an awful day you had - but I can't help wondering why you receive calls - especially texts - at night? I remember phoning you from hospital, but I assumed that if you received the calls it meant you were awake. Anyway, I hope today remains peaceful!

LINDA - I assume the busy is happy-busy with your visitors - especially Amber.

Must fly - Bloods appt at 11:30, still got coffee to drink and shirts to change - but after early showers, rain seems to be over for now - can't believe my luck.
  • OG - I always answer the phone at night and usually am awake or nearly so. It is the text messages from Canada that annoy me - they are so trivial, like which Airbnb he 'might' be staying in when he arrives here in September. Plus, I need to put specs on to read texts so have to put light on and scrabble for them ! Not so for the landline.... I must remember to put my mobile phone on 'silent mode' at night.... or leave it in another room!

There was a letter in our local paper (Inverness Courier) today regarding crowded trains. The service is just awful. Three carriages on a train from Edinburgh at this touristy time of year is ridiculous. Aisles crowded, etc. Amy was panicking and weeping. Her mum and I were doing our best, remotely. Anyway, a very kind lady saw Amy's distress and came over and exchanged seats with whoever was next to Amy. She - the lady - was marvellously helpful. I guess that she had experience of panic attacks etc.
  • DIANE - I didn't realise just how much poverty there is in US. I can't speak about the situation here because it would be based on what I think I know, rather than fact. As LINDY says, though, we are fortunate to have reasonably good health care. I leave it at that....

ANNETTE- Have a good week with your daughter x

LINDY - ditto with Amber!

A much quieter day here today but flash floods in Elgin which discombobulated my middle daughter somewhat! 'Mum, the roads are running with water and all the neighbours are outside looking worried'. She is cat sitting there and had never seen anything like it. I was able to tell her that all would be well and sure enough, men in high viz jackets arrived and all of a sudden the roadside drains kicked in. Doesn't stop folk getting worried, though. Some of the neighbours have bad memories of previous flooding in Elgin.

• Amber keeping me on the go. Went to visit sis in law this morning, where Amber helped water the plants with a spray hose, and ate cake. This afternoon an outing to the canal, where we saw swans, barges and had more ice cream. She had huge plateful of sausage and chips for her tea. After having two fish fingers, peas & bread and butter for lunch.......

Yesterday went to a big playground where she had a go on everything. Then in afternoon fed the the chickens at a plant nursery, then later to a farm cafe where we had icecream and saw turkeys and pigs. Thankfully the rain has held off.

I fell asleep in front of the tv this evening!