Any Fieldfares yet?

Hello, since getting in to birding about a year ago I have had a thing about Fieldfares and I'm desperate to see one! Last winter I saw lots of Redwings but no Fieldfares so I have been so looking forward to this autumn's migration. The title of this post says it all really. Have any Fieldfares been spotted on or by the reserve yet and do you usually get many? Looking forward to seeing my first one!

Many thanks! :)

• Hi Dawn, I have been meaning to thank you for ages for recommending The Chase. I went there earlier this month and although I didn't see a Fieldfare I did see my first Merlin. I have however finally seen my first Fieldfares at Belhus Woods just this afternoon! There was a flock of about 50 in a field and I followed them around as they flew from tree to tree (I think to escape me so feel a bit mean about that!). They are just as beautiful in the flesh as they are on film and print.

Craig, I was at Thames Chase around the time you saw the Harris Hawk. I saw a BOP in a field at the eastern end of the park. I wasn't sure what it was and your sighting of the Harris Hawk got me thinking but I have come to the conclusion that it was juvenile Buzzard.

• A merlin? What a good sighting, much more difficult to see than fieldfares! Glad you've at last seen the fieldfares though, and 50 is far more than I've managed to see so far this year! Up to now I've only seen a couple of odd ones mixed in with a few redwings.

Re the harris hawk, did you see that one was seen on the reserve a couple of weeks ago, complete with jessies - possibly the same one?

• Hi, The Harris Hawk I saw that day was being harassed by 2 buzzards until it eventually landed in a tree next to the fishing lake in the farm field at the back of the small church near Cranham marsh. I watched it for a while but I couldn't see its jessies but there was no mistaking the species, it could well have been the same bird that was at Rainham as captive BoPs are known to stray for days before returning home.

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein

• Big well done on seeing the Merlin. Top bird

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein

• Hi Skyelark

I spotted 2 Fieldfare at Rainham Marsh 2 weeks ago in the bushes near the feeding station by the woods, so they are about. If you want to venture to Eastbrook Country Park/ Dagenham Case, there are large flocks of Redwing and Fieldfare there which I have seen nearly everytime I've visited it. Also whilst there, if you are really lucky, you may spot a Short Eared owl and a Little Owl which I've spotted a couple of times over near the railway line. ;-)

Regards

Steve

My Flickr

My Website

• Hi Steve thanks for that, I'm rerally grateful. I need to get to the reserve soon! I went to the country park and Chase last month on Dawn's recommendation and that's where I saw the Merlin (you're right Craig, a top bird!). There were lots of corvids but very few thrushes but I will give it another bash. I went back to Belhus last week and the Fieldfares seem to be hanging around there with the Redwings and got another glimpse. Such a beautiful bird! There are so many places to go to at the moment that I don't know where to go to first, especially as you're guaranteed to see them at Belhus at the moment. Agh the decisions! I just wish they would come to my garden; I've told them I'll put some grub out for them but haven't had any takers as yet! ;))

• Sorry for not replying earlier!  What a great series of chat posts!  Anyway, we have at least three Fieldfares in the woodland at RM at the moment but I would hold on for the winds to go east and genuine cold to hit. We will be knee deep in them by then and I will post accordingly!  H;o)

Howard Vaughan, Information Officer

•  Skyelark, thought you might like this. I was at my Art Society meeting last week and the theme was 'a winter scene', not being one for landscapes I was wondering what to paint when I thought 'Oh I know', and this is the result. Having just inserted the pic it looks huge on my screen - it's only actually 6'' x 8''!

• Wow Dawn thank you so much for putting your painting up on here. What a beautiful bird and painting! Thank you. This gave me a lot of pleasure. x

• Glad you liked it. I've used it for making some of my Christmas cards. If you're going to the reserve in the next couple of weeks let me know and I'll leave one at reception for you.