Any Fieldfares yet?

Hello, since getting in to birding about a year ago I have had a thing about Fieldfares and I'm desperate to see one! Last winter I saw lots of Redwings but no Fieldfares so I have been so looking forward to this autumn's migration. The title of this post says it all really. Have any Fieldfares been spotted on or by the reserve yet and do you usually get many? Looking forward to seeing my first one!

Many thanks! :)

• I always reckon on seeing some in the Rainham/Hornchurch area by my birthday, which is tomorrow, but I haven't seen a single one yet this year. So I think many are a bit later arriving than normal, although there were some reported on the reserve on the 13th. Have a look on the East London Birders Forum website, that will give you an idea of what's been about.

• Fab, thanks Dawn! I was wondering if there was a local birders forum. And many happy returns for tomorrow!

• Cheers, also worth keeping an eye on Howard's Rainham Marshes blog, found via the blog tab at the top of this page.

• I will do thanks. I might come to the reserve on Monday.

• Hi Skyelark,

I was at RSPB Ouse Washes in Cambridgeshire on Monday 31st Oct and saw a flock of Fieldfare feeding.... in a field :)

It will only be a matter of time before we start to get them in Essex as the weather becomes that much colder further North forcing these birds to seek the warmth in the South.

Thanks

Craig

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein

• Hi Craig, thanks so much for your reply. I have yet to see my first Fieldfare and I am really getting DESPERATE now! I did read on Howard's blog that 30 or so had been seen on the reserve recently. I've started putting out apples hoping that I will attract them to my garden eventually. So far only the Starlings have eaten them! A few weeks ago I dreamt that I asked Chris Packham when I would start seeing them; he told me to be patient. I guess I will have to try and abide by his advice!

• Sounds very like a "Field of Dreams" moment. "If you feed them they will come"!!

Theres a good chance of seeing them in your garden if food supplies start to dry up in their natural habitats and if we get snow this will also increase the chances of seeing them forage for food in gardens.

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein

• Saw my first one this year in Essex today. It would help if we lost these persistent southerly winds. Looks like they could go E/NE for a couple of days after the weekend before returning SW'lie. I'm sure there will plenty in the hedgerows come December although I think it will take some severe weather before many will come to more urban gardens.

Dave

• I was at the reserve on Sunday and there was a flock of about 20 thrushes which flew over the woods, not sure if they were all redwings, or if there were a few fieldfares amongst them, I lost sight of them over the trees, so didn't see where they landed.

On the subject of putting apples out, I think it's a bit early yet when there is still so much wild food. Last year we got Redwings in the garden, but not until late winter when things got really tough.

I take it Skyelark that you are relatively local. If so and you are desperate, try a trip to the Chase. The bit between the railway line and the stables, off Upper Rainham Road has lots scrubby trees with plenty of food and I have often seen them there in the past.

• Hi Dawn, I fully take on board what you say about it being too early to be putting fruit out. I guess I did it in desperation that one might be flying over my house and would see them! We had Redwings in our garden just the once last winter so who knows what this one will bring. I'm in Upminster which is about 7 miles from the reserve. I've just googled The Chase and will add it to my places to visit this month.

Thanks all :)