Any Fieldfares yet?

Hello, since getting in to birding about a year ago I have had a thing about Fieldfares and I'm desperate to see one! Last winter I saw lots of Redwings but no Fieldfares so I have been so looking forward to this autumn's migration. The title of this post says it all really. Have any Fieldfares been spotted on or by the reserve yet and do you usually get many? Looking forward to seeing my first one!

Many thanks! :)

• I agree with Dawn the farmers fields leading up to the Chase (Essex Wildlife Trust - Cranham Marsh) is probably the best place to catch a sight of them.

Scan the Hawthorn and Blackthorn hedgerows too. The times I have seen them were just before dusk but they could turn up at anytime.

In fact these fields can be excellent for migrating birds as in the past I witnessed flocks of Skylarks, Linnet, Pied Wagtail and also a pair of Wheatear and if you walk to the Cranham Marsh reserve there is a good chance of seeing Spotted Flycatcher and Green and Great Spot Woodpecker, flocks of Redpoll in the winter and even Siskin.

Also Jays are much more showy this time of year gathering acorns for the cold days ahead.

Hope this is of help :)

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein

• Thank you Craig it is! I also meant to add Cranham Marsh to places to visit (list is getting long!) this month. I also want to have a look at Thames Chase on Pike lane as they were seen there last winter with Redwings (but I only saw the Redwings!) and they currently have hedges full of fruit! I am ever so grateful for the suggestions. Thank you!

• You can actually walk from the Chase to Pike lane and cross the road into the Thames Chase if you take the footpath through the back of the churchyard and onto the farm fields behind. Walk under the railway bridge and into the next field and following the outskirt of the field towards Pike Lane.

Its a fantastic walk which I do myself and you get to cover both Cranham Marsh and the Thames Chase. In all it takes about 2 hours.

As you mention the Redwing are normally seen gorging themselves on berries over there. There are some really good bird food plants such as Guelder Rose, Hawthorn, Crab Apple, Blackthorn, Rowan and plenty of birch for all kinds of species to feed on.

Goodluck

Craig

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein

• That's great Craig thanks and a really good idea. I've seen the footpath signs at both ends but it's never occured to me that the two paths meet up, if that makes sense! I will give it a go. I'm determined not to let this winter go to without seeing any!

• Actually Craig that's miles away from where I was talking about. Living in Rainham, and having been brought up in Dagenham The Chase to me starts in Dagenham at Eastbrook End and runs bordering Romford to the North, to Elm Park/Rainham. Which I suppose was the original Chase, before they kept adding bits and started calling it Thames Chase!

You are obviously more familiar with Upminster than I am, although I have been to Cranham Marsh (and got lost) and I am familiar with Pike Lane (I've just had an exhibition of my paintings there) I didn't realise that they met up. So thank you, I have learned something from this conversation too.  

• Ooh Dawn, I was at TC Pike Lane a few weeks back and was admiring the pictures on display there. I was looking for ones of Fieldfares and remember seeing Waxwings. Do you also have cards made from your paintings? The ones are saw were really lovely.

• Yes those were mine, I did the waxwings after seeing some for the first time last Christmas. I haven't done any of fieldfares, but I could be persuaded! Yes I do cards of all my paintings (there was a whole rack of them at Pike Lane). If there's something particular you wanted I'm at the reserve Sunday mornings, and often in the week too, so I'm sure I could leave an envelope with some for you to look at in at reception. Or if you wanted to leave me your e mail address at reception I could e mail you photos.

• Happy to help Dawn. Got to say it does get quite confusing as I always thought the original Chase was in Dagenham (still is in my opinion). There are quite a few right of way paths linking these habitats together. Another is the network that links up the Ingrebourne Valley.

• Just to add I had a Harris Hawk 2 weeks back land in the trees around the large pond in the field just as you exit the path from the churchyard. Very unlikely sighting to say the least!

• Yes the original Chase was in Dagenham, it was the only area I knew as such when I was growing up.

Ingreborne Valley is now much more my neck of the woods, but don't get me started on that - I often see reports of interesting sightings in Ingreborne Valley, but it's miles from one end to the other, more specific reporting would be much more helpful!

I bet someone's looking for that harris hawk. I've seen one being flown in the Ingreborne Valley in the past (more specifically, the wooded area between Albyns Farm and Hornchurch Country Park!).