A Day Out at Minsmere.

The weather forecast was not great last Saturday but I had a free day so I headed for Minsmere, as it turned out there was more sunshine than forecast.

On the walk through the woods towards Bittern Hide I'm always on the look out for Tree Creepers and as often happens I found a couple. They seem to favour the shady side of trees but this one gave me a couple of views in sunshine.

From Bittern Hide there were regular sightings of Marsh Harriers and the odd ariel display, but always at great distance. Also a few but distant glimpses of Bitterns nipping over the reeds.

There were a few times they came a bit closer to the hide but always when the sun was in or when it was out they were between me and the sun.

Then I heard somebody say, look a Stoat, and it stayed visible just long enough to get a couple of shots as it ran along in front and to the left of the hide.

On the way through the reed beds towards the sluice lots of Widgeon feeding.

Down in the Dunes a Stonechat was catching passing flying things.

This one had it's eye on something coming top right of the picture.

My previous camera, a Lumix G9 had Pre-burst, my new Olympus has Pro-capture which is the ability to record images before the shutter is fully pressed. This Stonechat gave me lots of opportunities to try it out on the new camera as it repeatedly leapt after passing insects.

A quick look from East Hide as I had to head home. One of many pairs of Gadwall.

A good day out and if I'd believed the weather forecast I might not have gone. The reserve was quite quiet for a Saturday so perhaps other people were put off.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

Parents Reply Children
No Data