My article I wrote about my first visit to Minsmere in East Anglia in 49 years for my RSPB Group’s Quarterly Newsletter in August 2022!

I did write an article about my first visit in in 49 years to Minsmere in Suffolk fort the my local groups newsletter published in August of last year 2022. I did visit other bird reserve in East Anglia in Suffolk and Norfolk. But this article I wrote included comparing Minsmere 49 years ago to my visit at the end of May 2022! Below is the article!

Regards,

Ian.

Parents
  • Thanks for sharing Ian.
    With reference to the Canopy Hide, this was constructed by the wardens in the 1970s, so the cost would not have been very high. At the time it overlooked a wonderful woodland pool, but after many years of trampling by deer the base of this pool is no longer impermeable and it rarely remains wet in the summer - despite numerous attempts at repairs over the years.
    Although the birdlife can be limited here, especially during the height of summer (I wouldn't expect to see much from any canopy hide in August), it provides a wonderful opportunity to sit amongst the oak canopy and ponder life. It's also vert popular with families, who love the chance to explore and see the reserve from a different perspective.
    When the hide was first built it was best place to look for lesser spotted woodpeckers, but this tiny woodpecker last bred at Minsmere more than 30 years ago, and is now almost extinct in Suffolk, following continued national population declines. Now, in spring, you can enjoy watching blue, great or tits collecting caterpillars from the canopy, or perhaps spot a great spotted woodpecker drumming on an exposed dead branch. It is also one of the best places to look for butterflies in July, especially canopy dwelling species like purple hairstreak that rarely come down to lower levels.
  • Thanks for sharing Ian.
    With reference to the Canopy Hide, this was constructed by the wardens in the 1970s, so the cost would not have been very high. At the time it overlooked a wonderful woodland pool, but after many years of trampling by deer the base of this pool is no longer impermeable and it rarely remains wet in the summer - despite numerous attempts at repairs over the years.
    Although the birdlife can be limited here, especially during the height of summer (I wouldn't expect to see much from any canopy hide in August), it provides a wonderful opportunity to sit amongst the oak canopy and ponder life. It's also vert popular with families, who love the chance to explore and see the reserve from a different perspective.
    When the hide was first built it was best place to look for lesser spotted woodpeckers, but this tiny woodpecker last bred at Minsmere more than 30 years ago, and is now almost extinct in Suffolk, following continued national population declines. Now, in spring, you can enjoy watching blue, great or tits collecting caterpillars from the canopy, or perhaps spot a great spotted woodpecker drumming on an exposed dead branch. It is also one of the best places to look for butterflies in July, especially canopy dwelling species like purple hairstreak that rarely come down to lower levels.
Children
No Data