Well It's a little Bittern wow weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

page one

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

Parents
  • page two

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

• Wonderful, Limpy!  Lucky you.  Did Clare see it as well as you?

Kind regards, Ann

• Hi Ann yes she did, Clare and a very happy Clare this is the first LB she has seen, I think it is a juv, have you seen a DW

Magnus Ullman

• That's great, Limpy.  I've never seen a Little Bittern.  I imagine Clare is grinning from ear to ear and that you are rather pleased as well!

No DW yet but we haven't been to Arne yet this trip (waiting for the weather to warm up a bit later in the week before facing the winds over the heath!)  Spent much of Saturday in Dorchester (with Farmers' Market and Christmas and other shopping) but we then went on to RSPB Radipole Lake at Weymouth.  We were only there about an hour in the late afternoon but we were fortunate to see 4 Snipe, both Bar-Tailed and Black-Tailed Godwit, numerous Gulls and Cormorants and the icing on the cake was a fabulous and very close view of a Marsh Harrier hunting over the reeds, all seen from the warm and cosy visitor centre while having a cup of tea!  Jeremy thought he might have seen their resident Rail flying off but not certain.  Apparently the Rail feeds just outside the centre windows (we'll be back!).  The Snipe were feeding only a couple of metres from the windows of the centre as well and we've never had closer views of a Marsh Harrier plus he was in view for ages.  Spent today being tourists and visited Thomas Hardy's home of Max Gate in Dorchester.

Kind regards, Ann

• Excellent stuff - I had to put up with the normal ones on Thursday, the Little Bittern's been elusive since you saw it Wednesday - or has flown away.  What we really need is for it to take up residence with the Island Mere Peskies :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Delighted for you finding the LB Limpy.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Reply Children
  • So glad you were able to get out to see this stunning bird Limpy. It was the first one at Minsmere since 1977. Unfortunately, having shown well on Wednesday afternoon it hasn't been seen since going to roost that evening. I'm hoping it might still be lurking in the reedbed somewhere!